Windows 8 Pro upgrade prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 Pro upgrade prices

In a move that shocked even me, the mothership announced a initial upgrade offer for Windows 8 Pro. For those who don't care about physical media you will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99 USD. Those who prefer physical media will need to fork out $69.99.

Get to know Windows 11, the Windows that brings you closer to what you love.News and features for people who use and are interested in Windows, including announcements from Microsoft and its partners.News and more about hardware products from Microso

No word on what post-promo prices will be, but I like the new pricing. Pro is the high-end version of Win8 with all the bells and whistles.

Upgrade prices are valid for XP, Vista and 7 users. Full details in the link.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

He! My crack dealer has similar offerings for newbies!
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Upgrade from windows xp allows you the option to "downgrade" to windows 7.

$40 to upgrade xp to win 7 sounds ok

Comment

I have not read much about W8 but as I understand it it should be possible to have the W7 UI? I am pretty happy with W7 so not sure I'd want to upgrade. I am considering buying it and not installing it.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

As I read it, no... the start button is gone... And they try to push this Metro interface. The alternative is with some "hot corner" near the top left, that acts as a start button...
          (but somebody correct me if I'm wrong)
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The Start button is gone...which sucks. Supposedly they even took the code out for it. There are several companies who have already written apps that bring back the Win7 desktop, including start button, for those who don't want to get rid of it.

You can use the Win+X keyboard shortcut to get a kind of start menu pop-up. There are lots of other new keyboard shortcuts for desktop users to speed things up.

There are several hot corners now. Top right brings up the "charms", which are the buttons for search, metro home, settings and a few other things. Top left bring up all your running programs. Bottom left toggles between metro start/home and the desktop.

Honestly, I'm not too thrilled with the death of the desktop for laptop/desktop users. Metro is fun and all, but when I'm on the desktop "app" I want to use the desktop, not some chopped up, scaled down version of it.

One rumor I saw, somewhere online, is that you may be able to have multiple desktops now. The "desktop" is just an app, so it may be possible to run multipl desktop apps at once and get a more X-windows experience in Windows 8. In theory. I haven't seen this done yet.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I've been using it since it came out. I find metro annoying on a desktop. It is lovely on a phone though. I use the desktop which is pretty much identical to win7's. It seems "lighter" though
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
              X