Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdf conversion

Hello,

We have a number of PDF files that contain important data. The files clearly contain layers, but we have problems converting them to another format that can be read in ArcGIS (e.g. DXF).

Any suggestions for such tools?
    (pdfs are up to 60 MB, containing a fully multi layer map of Warsaw with various air quality data)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Kubotek Key Creator should. I can try it if you have a link to a file.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gt40; 19 June 2012, 10:27.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to send the files to anyone else. The data is quite detailed and we needed to get special permission to obtain it. (I know I can trust you, but still would prefer to stick to procedures).

I got a couple of trial versions of softwares that claim to be able to do the conversion, but either they crash, or generate files we cannot use. Adobe Illustrator for instance returns a dxf file that is 2.5 GB, which no software can read anymore...
      pixar

Comment

I've tried a couple files with it. It doesn't seem to like vector encoded pdf's but extracts U3D encoded ones just fine.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Try with CorelDraw, you can open pdf and export DWG or DXF and do so with just layers. Not sure if it will discern layers but you could use Adobe tools to separate layers.

Comment

Another option is open pdf in phtoshop, rasterize layer, convert to bitmap (image adjust threshold, image mode bitmap), then save as tiff, import into autocad, put it on a layer with blue color and use white color to draw over it.

The problem with DXF conversion is that for example you have an arc or a curve in AI or CDR, they generally make polygon with a lot very short segments.

Also DWG should have lesser filesize than DXF.

Comment

I should check, but I don't think we have a recent license for CorelDraw... In Acrobat Professional, it does not seem to give me much options to export to a vector format...
              pixar

Comment

You can download trial, it should at least enable you to see whether it works or not.

Comment

Working...
                X