• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teacher truth-tells at graduation

http://www.nydailyne...9#ixzz1xDyn8cKw

High school teacher tells graduating students: you’re not special

Commencement speech aims to deflate self-important kids

He gets points for being blunt, at least.

A straight-talking English teacher at Wellesley High School set out to take students down a notch in his speech to the class of 2012, by telling them they’re nothing special.

"You are not special. You are not exceptional," David McCullough Jr. told graduating seniors from the affluent Massachusetts town last weekend.

The teacher's controversial advice caught the nation's eye, in an age where many believe today's youth suffer from a sense of self-importance.

"Yes, you've been pampered, cosseted, doted upon, helmeted, bubble-wrapped," McCullough said in his speech. "Yes, capable adults with other things to do have held you, kissed you, fed you, wiped your mouth, wiped your bottom, trained you, taught you, tutored you, coached you, listened to you, counseled you, encouraged you, consoled you and encouraged you again. You've been nudged, cajoled, wheedled and implored. You've been feted and fawned over and called sweetie pie. ... But do not get the idea you're anything special. Because you're not."

Driving the point home, he added, "Think about this: even if you're one in a million, on a planet of 6.8 billion that means there are nearly 7,000 people just like you."

He continued to tell it like it is. Americans have come to appreciate accolades more than genuine achievement, he said, and will compromise standards in order to secure a higher spot on the social totem pole.

"As a consequence, we cheapen worthy endeavors, and building a Guatemalan medical clinic becomes more about the application to Bowdoin than the well-being of the Guatemalans," he said.

In the quest for accomplishment, everything gets watered down. A 'B' is the new 'C.' Midlevel courses are the new advanced placement, the teacher said.

The reaction to MuCullough’s blunt advice was overwhelmingly positive, both from students at the receiving end of the reality check and people who saw the speech as it circulated the Internet this week.

"For once someone told us what we need to hear and not necessarily what we wanted to hear," said one commenter on The Swellesley Report.

"Undoing all 'they've' done in on 10-minute speech. My faith in the world may have been restored," another commenter said.

McCullough, the son of the Pulitzer Prize-winning historian David McCullough, explained his provocative words on Fox News Wednesday.

He said kids need independence. They need to struggle and stumble to make it in today's difficult, competitive world. But too often parents are there to throw the pillows on the floor.

"So many of the adults around them - the behavior of the adults around them - gives them this sort of inflated sense of themselves. And I thought they needed a little context, a little perspective," McCullough told Fox News. "To send them off into the world with an inflated sense of themselves is doing them no favors."
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 June 2012, 23:19.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Teacher gets suspended in 5...4...3...2...

Comment

No, he's actually getting props from most all directions. Who'dathunkit?

The Atlanta Journal Constitution has the whole text....
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Great speech. I'm not surprised it went viral.

I wonder what percentage of the graduates to whom it was addressed would profit from those words? They should be printed on the back of the certificates they were given!
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Waste of breath. Though I'm sure it made the adults feel good.
          According to the GREMLIN* Index it will have no actual influence at all.
          Child action causation according to the index can be broken down thus:
          1, Innate Personality: 51%
          2, Parental EXAMPLE: 49%
          3, Parental Verbalization: 100% - (1 + 2)
          4, Other adult talk talk blah blah: Whatever is left after that.

*General Relation Eternal Median Linguistic Influence Nexus
          Last edited by cjolley; 9 June 2012, 18:32. Reason: math error
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
          X