Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPv6

Happy IPv6 Launch Day!!

I found a beta firmware for my router that supports IPv6 and naturally installed it. My ISP doesn't support IPv6, yet, so I decided to get my geek on and setup a tunnel broker through Hurricane Electric (think Akamai).

It has no obvious benefit over IPv4 at the moment, but I feel geekier for doing it. Here are two quick tests to see if you're IPv6 ready...in case you are curious.

This will test your browser and connection for IPv6 readiness, as well as show you your current IPv4 and IPv6 address.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
    It has no obvious benefit over IPv4 at the moment, but I feel geekier for doing it.
    Which is it? Can't be both.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

My ISP doesn't support IPv6 either (idiots, as their network is fully IPv6 prepared).

However, Windows (at least Vista) has a build in on-demand-IPv6 Teredo tunnel; the only issue is that Windows does not request a AAAA record from the DNS server, so it never actually knows when to use the tunnel. You can alter the behaviour by setting
      Code:
      AddrConfigControl = 0
      in
      Code:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Dnscache\Parameters
      also flush your DNS cache in an elevated CMD windows if you tried to retrieve AAAA records prior to setting the above key
      Code:
      ipconfig /flushdns
      All the services I run in my private cloud instance (DNS resolver, webserver, mail server) are IPv6 ready (since last years IPv6 day).

Comment

Ok, I'm going to ask a stupid question...

Is it necesary for end users to make the switch? I mean, can't the ISP handle it transparently?

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
          Ok, I'm going to ask a stupid question...

Is it necesary for end users to make the switch? I mean, can't the ISP handle it transparently?

Jörg
          You need a home router (assuming you use one) and an OS that supports IPv6. The rest is done by the ISP. All modern OSs should support it. Most modern routers do as well.

@Umfriend, it can be both. Right now everything is either dual stack or IPv4 only, with a few small exceptions. So it doesn't have any advantage over IPv4...yet. But I still feel geeky for setting up a 6in4 (Toredo) tunnel just for kicks.

Comment

In my book, feeling geeky is an obvious benefit.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
              In my book, feeling geeky is an obvious benefit.
              True, True.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                My ISP doesn't support IPv6 either (idiots, as their network is fully IPv6 prepared).

However, Windows (at least Vista) has a build in on-demand-IPv6 Teredo tunnel; the only issue is that Windows does not request a AAAA record from the DNS server, so it never actually knows when to use the tunnel. You can alter the behaviour by setting
                Code:
                AddrConfigControl = 0
                in
                Code:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Dnscache\Parameters
                also flush your DNS cache in an elevated CMD windows if you tried to retrieve AAAA records prior to setting the above key
                Code:
                ipconfig /flushdns
                All the services I run in my private cloud instance (DNS resolver, webserver, mail server) are IPv6 ready (since last years IPv6 day).
                Windows 7 will register and request IPv6 addresses by default. At least in an enterprise it will. I've looked at enough DHCP traces to know that. I think it only requests AAAA records off the subnet when a routable IPv6 address is present.

Comment

exactly; maybe I should have been more explicit in my explanation:

You need to set the registry key only if you want to request AAAA records and use the build-in Teredo IPv6 tunnel.
                  For example, when your ISP does not provide a IPv6 address, and you can't or don't want to configure your router to set up a tunnel and ipv6 router advertisement daemon for the local subnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                    You need a home router (assuming you use one) and an OS that supports IPv6. The rest is done by the ISP. All modern OSs should support it. Most modern routers do as well.
                    I know that is what is needed to make the switch.

But my question is: why can't the ISP give me an IPv4 address, and just internally keep a table that my IPv4 address matches some IPv6 address? Any traffic addressed to that IPv6 address can then be routed to me...
                    Is there a technical reason I'm missing why end users need to change?
                    pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                      I know that is what is needed to make the switch.

But my question is: why can't the ISP give me an IPv4 address, and just internally keep a table that my IPv4 address matches some IPv6 address? Any traffic addressed to that IPv6 address can then be routed to me...
                      Is there a technical reason I'm missing why end users need to change?
                      Because IANA wants IPv4 to go away

Seriously though, having the ISP run a giant 4to6 NAT is just begging for trouble. In the beginning of the IPv6 transition they tried a 4to6 NAT technology (concept like you mentioned) and it did not work well. At all. It's one of those ideas that sounds really good on paper but in reality it's really, really, really bad.

Tunnels are less bad. They work. Most of the time.

Comment

Ok, that makes sense... Thanks!
                        pixar

Comment

Working...
                        X