Lenovo kills 7-row keyboard and goes chiclet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo kills 7-row keyboard and goes chiclet

The Ivy Bridge Thinkpads will now have chiclet keyboards with 6-rows. They also killed the thinklight. I bought Thinkpads mainly for the keyboard.

Now that Intel's Ivy Bridge specifications are finally out of the bag, you may as well resign yourselves to a deluge of PC refreshes over the coming months. Today Lenovo's up at bat, unveiling a slew of products under its business-friendly ThinkPad brand. If you were looking for a wholesale redesign, we'll kindly direct you to the X1, which was just reborn as a 14-inch Ultrabook. Otherwise, if you were just holding out for a little Ivy Bridge, we've got your refresh right here. All told, the upgrades span Lenovo's ultraportable X series, mainstream "T" lineup, budget "L" models and the W-series workstation. In general, you'll find Ivy Bridge processors (natch), Dolby audio and, in some cases, optional 4G radios. Additionally, the company tweaked its famed keyboard ever-so slightly and added a backlighting option to almost every system, save the newly available T430u Ultrabook. That's the abridged version for those of you not actually in the market for a new system, but folks craving more nitty-gritty details can follow past the break for a more detailed breakdown of pricing and specs.%Gallery-155303%

It's the end of an era, the Thinkpad forums have classified these as non-Thinkpad hardware and 55% think this is bad (for 45% it's a deal breaker) and only 8% think it's a good think.

This makes me as sad as no followup (for 3 years) to G400 and then Matrox not making any cool cards after Parhelia.

I am sorry for you loss.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
      The Ivy Bridge Thinkpads will now have chiclet keyboards with 6-rows. They also killed the thinklight. I bought Thinkpads mainly for the keyboard.

Now that Intel's Ivy Bridge specifications are finally out of the bag, you may as well resign yourselves to a deluge of PC refreshes over the coming months. Today Lenovo's up at bat, unveiling a slew of products under its business-friendly ThinkPad brand. If you were looking for a wholesale redesign, we'll kindly direct you to the X1, which was just reborn as a 14-inch Ultrabook. Otherwise, if you were just holding out for a little Ivy Bridge, we've got your refresh right here. All told, the upgrades span Lenovo's ultraportable X series, mainstream "T" lineup, budget "L" models and the W-series workstation. In general, you'll find Ivy Bridge processors (natch), Dolby audio and, in some cases, optional 4G radios. Additionally, the company tweaked its famed keyboard ever-so slightly and added a backlighting option to almost every system, save the newly available T430u Ultrabook. That's the abridged version for those of you not actually in the market for a new system, but folks craving more nitty-gritty details can follow past the break for a more detailed breakdown of pricing and specs.%Gallery-155303%

It's the end of an era, the Thinkpad forums have classified these as non-Thinkpad hardware and 55% think this is bad (for 45% it's a deal breaker) and only 8% think it's a good think.

This makes me as sad as no followup (for 3 years) to G400 and then Matrox not making any cool cards after Parhelia.
      For notebooks, chiclet keyboards fall right in the row like widescreen panels, glossy screens and TN screens. A very bad idea in general (certain uses excluded).

Probably within 3 years Apple will be the 'first' to re-introduce a good quality keyboard on a notebook (like Thinkpads had up to now) and market it as a huge advantage.

Comment

And while we are knocking laptop trends, why is it so hard to get a decent screen resolution these days?
        I am amazed that people put up with 768 vertical pixels. It's not enough.
        FT.

Comment

That just does not cease to amaze me. At "work" (I'm mostly at an assingment with a client) at some point we "upgraded" from 1280x1024 to 1400x900....terrible. 1920x1080? A complete waste. For me 1920x1200 is a 1600x1200 screen with an extra on the side. I am so happy Dell at least still sells 16:10 screens.

I've seen TV's with a, I donnow, 22:9 ratio? Image that coming to you workplace and laptop.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I just ordered me a Dell XPS 17" laptop with the full HD 3D display, 2nd gen Core i7, 8GB, 750GB, TV tuner etc etc.

My current Vostro has 1920*1200, so this will be a little less at 1920*1080 but the fun I'm going to have in 3D will make up for it
            FT.

Comment

Can you beleive it arrived here all the way from China this morning???!!!

I've just been having some fun with the GeForce 3D Vision glasses.

Anyone care to recommend some interesting apps to make the most of them?
              FT.

Comment

A *little* less? It's 10% gross. Including fixed cost of status bar / menu / buttons / address bar etc it'll be 12% or more. That should mean a lot to any productivity user.

So how's the fun in 3D?

Comment

I am being charitable. I am sure I will get used to it.
                  The first adjustment is to 'correct' the font size down from 125% to 100%.

It is a beast of a machine, a true desktop replacement that needs a strong shoulder and asbestos lap.
                  So far I've looked at the 3D images supplied and some 3D content on youtube and the nvidia dedicated website. I've yet to 'play' anything but will when I get a chance.
                  3D BR discs are fairly scarce at the rental shop and pretty expensive to buy so that is still to come.

Timing is good as Wifey's laptop chose this weekend to blow its gpu, so she gets to use one of mine until her new one arrives.
                  FT.

Comment

Working...
                  X