Build the Enterprise - in 20 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build the Enterprise - in 20 years?

Cool fun website about how current and near-future techs could be used to build an Enterprise-like vessel. It utilizes a gravity wheel/centrifuge in the saucer section, reactors in the nacelles and engineering section, ion/plasma drive, the current and near-future generations of laser weaponry, etc. etc.

About

The BuildTheEnterprise (BTE) website describes how to build the first USS Enterprise spaceship, based on technologies within our reach, over the next twenty years. You read that right. It’s possible for the United States of America to build the first generation of USS Enterprise given the national will to do so. But before digging into how to design and build this ship, you may first want to consider Our Space Problem and how this leads to Visions of Enterprise.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The gravity wheel is a clever idea within the formfactor.
    While the whole concept is an interesting way of thinking, it feels a bit like too much form over function... For instance: if you use the gravity wheel concept, why bother enclosing it? There seems to be no real need for the saucer hull...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
      if you use the gravity wheel concept, why bother enclosing it? There seems to be no real need for the saucer hull...
      Protection from meteoroids and radiation?

This guy seems to be on the right track. A multi-use extended-range vehicle is the correct solution. Nuclear power and artificial gravity will be essential. But I can't think of a single reason why it has to look like the Enterprise.

Comment

'Cause it's kewl!

There's a lot of things the US could do, given national will... That statement makes me smile.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
          This guy seems to be on the right track. A multi-use extended-range vehicle is the correct solution. Nuclear power and artificial gravity will be essential. But I can't think of a single reason why it has to look like the Enterprise.
          When I was a kid I drew a huge cross section plan for an interstellar craft. It had maybe 20 decks covering everything from housing, to science labs, landing bays, hydroponic gardens, everything.
          Over all shape?
          400 foot wide Mercury capsule on it's side with skids.
          It's human nature I guess.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
          X