Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIME's mothehood questions - are you mom enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIME's mothehood questions - are you mom enough?

And the cover raised one of the biggest ones regarding extended breast feeding: how old is too old to nurse?

In my youth nursing farm moms often did so until 2-4 years old, depending on the kid, but today it's "weird."

Main article: http://ideas.time.com/dr-william-sea...de-motherhood/

Extended feeding: http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/1...than-we-think/

Extended Breast-Feeding: Is It More Common than We Think?

Why I (quietly) nursed my three kids well past their first birthdays, and why this doesn't automatically mean I believe in attachment parenting

It’s hard to ignore TIME’s May 21 cover. There’s Jamie Lynne Grumet, looking every bit the supermodel in superskinny jeans, ballet flats and a strappy tank top with the neckline tugged down to make way for … her nearly 4-year-old son. He’s breast-feeding.

Over the past few months, breast-feeding has grabbed headlines as moms have staged nationwide nurse-ins to draw attention to their right to breast-feed in public. Mothers with babes in arms have collectively bared their breasts in Target stores; they’ve had their infants latch on at Facebook’s headquarters and at the state capitol in Georgia.

But the campaign for greater acceptance of nursing in public — and all those detractors who recoil when they see a mother feeding a baby just as her body is programmed to do — pales next to the startling image of Grumet feeding a boy who clearly doesn’t need breast milk to thrive. Or does he?
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I dunno, you Americans seem to have a morality "thing" when it comes to anything to do with breast feeding. What's up with you? Provided a kid gets the nutrients he needs, women can breast-feed their brats to whatever age they are able to. In Africa, some tribes carry on to 7 or 8 as part of their diet. In fact, I would say the tendency today is to wean far too early, often with unsuitable foods (just look at the jars of baby food and tell me whether the labels are meant to appeal more to the mother than to offer the food a baby needs.

As for the cover, I find it great and the kid doesn't look as if he is anything but a normal, healthy, boy.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

FYI - public breast feeding is legal in all but 3 US states, and the rules there are likely overridden under federal law. The issue here is how old to nurse to, not if or where.

Personally, I also think we wean our kids too young, and we can blame in part women working outside the home before the kids start school. Not exactly conducive to a prolonged nursing regime. Say that in front of women's libbers and you get a chair over your head

We canned our own baby food from veggies, fruits etc. obtained from our garden and the local farmers market. Once we introduced pureed meats it was from a free range turkey farm and an old-school butcher shop one town south of here. Can't get better than that IMO.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 May 2012, 00:03.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

erm.. i was nursed till i was 4, didn't get sick like other kids. Downside - a topless woman doesn't really turn me on come to think of it, that's not too bad
        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

My wife was pissed about the cover because she can't produce breast milk. People have given her crap for buying formula. People just assume every mother's milk just comes in and don't realize that some women can't. And believe me we tried everything, modern and traditional, to breastfeed. We almost lost our first child because we didn't know my wife's milk didn't come in. He was jaundice to the point he was 1 point away from getting a blood transfusion. Had our nurse not been careful enough to force the pediatrician into a very quick follow up we might have lost him.

The whole breast feeding thing in the US is just stupid. There's nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public. Even if your whacko religious, mammary glands serving god's purpose shouldn't be offensive. When I lived in Denmark mom's would whip out the boob in the middle of service and feed away and no one cared.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I just love the "Don't like it? Well FU." look on both their faces.

And I agree with Jammrock the attitude here is just stupid legal or not.
            PS, glad things worked out for you.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
            X