• Paralysed woman to complete London Marathon in Exoskeleton

How 'ReWalk' suit works:
    Lightweight braces support the legs and brace motors help rotate joints
    Feet sensors detect when weight is lifted
    Motion sensors on the hips detect movement
    Upper body sensors allow users to control movement
    Suit is powered by a backpack containing an 8-hour battery
    Users rely on crutches to maintain balance

Six years ago, professional horse-rider Claire Lomas was told that she would never walk again but now she is attempting to walk more than 26 miles (42km) at Sunday's London Marathon thanks to a pair of "robot legs", which have transformed her life.

When Claire was told she would spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair after a spinal injury, she wanted to get back on her feet as quickly as possible and regain her independence.

For the past three months she has been training intensively for the marathon using a robotic walking suit to prove she is just as determined as in her sporting days.

When Claire sets out with participants on Sunday she knows that most will aim to finish in hours. For her, it will take about three weeks.

A former event-rider who had competed at the highest level, Claire thought that the Burghley Horse trials, a four-star horse-riding event for top-class riders in Stamford, Lincolnshire, would be her greatest test.

"I didn't think I'd ever get to that level. But the marathon is a bigger challenge. I was wrong."

In the beginning she could only take two steps. Just a few weeks ago, she could only walk 30, making the marathon a near impossible feat.
    FT.

Excellent!!

Exoskeletons and other bionic techs are going to revolutionize rehab over the next couple of decades, not to mention their uses in construction, the military, nursing etc. etc.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

She's done it!

A paralysed woman completes the London Marathon in a "bionic" suit - 16 days after starting the race.
      FT.

Comment

Just wow.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hooray!!

Paralysed eventer fundraises for Spinal Research, walking using robotic suit. Day 8: 14 miles completed, 12 to go!
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 May 2012, 06:56.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
            Watched the BBC video with a tear in my eye.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
            X