Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should F1 be going to Bahrain this weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should F1 be going to Bahrain this weekend?

Personally I think not. The event there is state sponsored and things are far from right with that state. Taking the huge and lucrative F1 circus there I would suggest shows a disregard for anything except profit.
    FT.

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
    Personally I think not. The event there is state sponsored and things are far from right with that state. Taking the huge and lucrative F1 circus there I would suggest shows a disregard for anything except profit.
    That's exactly why they should go! If they wouldn't go, it would just show you that they adjust their behaviour based on public opinion, not based on their own beliefs. I have more respect for them if they are honest in their behaviour

not that I care much about F1, so take my opinion with a bucket of salt or two

Comment

On one hand, I think they should not go, as to send a signal to the state... But then where do you draw the line: suppose a country would have the same political situation, but without riots (e.g. because they keep them under a very tight control). From the media point of view, there might not seem to be a problem in that country, and nobody would be thinking of not going there.

Now, considering that the protests are visible and known, Formula 1's presence - even if backed by the government - might bring the political situation in a more open view (world press would be watching and for sure commenting on riots and how they are dealt with). The government might have to be careful in what they do when there are problems, as the world is watching.

If I were a team, I might decide not to go there. But as a media event, I can see why there are good reasons to have it go ahead. For the protesters though, it is an opportunity to "tell it to the world", which is why I would not go there as a team.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

At the moment the situation is ludicrous. Here we have politicians calling for the British drivers (mainly Hamilton and Button, two of the biggest names in the sport) to boycott the event, which of course puts them in an extremely awkward position. Fortunately they have been smart enough not to get drawn too deeply in to the debate.

And then there are mechanics from Force India whose vehicle got rather close to petrol bombs and now they want to go home and there are rumours that the team will not take part in Free Practice 2 (scheduled for an hour or so after I write this post) as they don't want to travel in the dark.

For all the above and more I don't think they should be there.

All that aside, the race is not usually an interesting one anyway, so it comes back to the only reason the race is held is for profit.
        FT.

Comment

I tend to agree...
          The only benefit it brings is that it puts the Bahrein situation in the world press... but that should not be the task of any sporting event...

(maybe for a new thread: it is shaping up to be an interesting championship though)
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I agree with dZeus. Just wanted to make that clear.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

There isn't a country in the world which has no controversy. So abandon motor racing everywhere. No profit, no pollution, no hope of seeing drama.

Australia: needs to reduce CO2 pollution (including that of spectators' driving)
              Malaysia: increasingly totalitarianism, wanton rain forest destruction
              China: no need to say anything
              Bahrain: ditto
              Spain: Can't afford it
              Monaco: For billionaires
              Canada: Linguistic controversy: large distances for many fans to travel, so pollution
              Europe: See Spain
              Britain: Can't afford it: Home of Cameron, Millband and Ecclestone (2nd most controversial figure in so-called "sport", after Sepp Blatter). Broke after overspending on Olympics!
              Germany: Angela Merkel
              Hungary: Can't afford it: full of Hungarians
              Belgium: European Parliament
              Italy: Can't afford it: media publicity from Berlusconi
              Singapore: So small that skidding off track will land you in sea: beware of sharks, especially two-legged ones
              Japan: too radioactive
              Korea: too close to DPRK
              India: too many Indians unable to afford a ticket
              Abu Dhabi: too close to Bahrain
              USA: sans commentaire
              Brazil: too busy sucking up to Sepp Blatter; wanton rain forest destruction

Down with F1!

[/tongue in cheek]
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Painfully true!
                FT.

Comment

Fulfill this years contract for the pre-planned fans sake, but don't put them on the schedule for next year. If fans want to boycott this year, it's up to them.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                  X