A little about work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little about work...

My real job, as many of you know, is at a certain Fortune 500 company which has been ranked #1 for many years.

My first job there was as an hourly tech for the internal call center (2001). Fast forward to 2012; still working for the same company, but now I do infrastructure design (for about the past two years) for servers in datacenters as a senior engineer. I'm being paid to do exactly what I would do otherwise in my own free time. It would not be wrong or out of place to give all of you some of the credit for this.

That said, the life of an engineer is often unsung. So, while taking an online course in advanced Visio (more dealing with how to inventory objects automatically, and crosslink data from multiple Visios to Excel and other tools) I came up with this bit of datacenter Pr0N I can share: Disclaimer: I won't share the details of the hardware stack (a picture, after all, is worth a thousand words). The illustration below is my own work and unrelated to any project I am tasked with. (No, I will not make the Visio available; it's not what you can see, but what you can't see which makes it somewhat special.) All of the stencils and shapes are publicly available, however, from Altimatech and VisioCafe as well as specific manufacturers/ vendors.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MultimediaMan; 14 April 2012, 02:51. Reason: Repeat
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Nice, blade centers is something we have in our data centers, causing us network folk a head ache each time they connect them to our switches

I was also a designer a few years back, got promoted to an adviser, now a network architect. I use visio every day, stuck with 2007 at the moment.
    Last edited by Elie; 15 April 2012, 21:01.

Comment

Those aren't blades
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I have no clue what they are. But, MMM, you're welcome! ;-)

And it is always great to hear from one having fun, as in _really_, at work
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Could be a SAN infrastructure

Comment

HP Evas?

Otherwise:

Visio is crap, Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator are much better. I always hated doing diagrams in Visio because that was what we licensed and boss insisted on it. I would have just drawn diagram with pencil on paper and scan it or pen on my X61T (would have been faster) if I could

You can get all the gear from HP, IBM, etc... templates for Visio
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 16 April 2012, 01:09.

Comment

UtwigMU,

As an illustration tool, Visio is crap. If you are using it for process flows, inventory or to build a list of materials, there are few products which can compete for far more money.

To really use Visio, you have to use it beyond the UI.

Those are HP G8 Rack servers, BTW.

Comment

Elie, I totally agree. Particularly the HP FlexFabric Blade Switches. Fortunately, Cisco and HP have collaborated and now have some interesting offerings...especially starting about Q4 of last year.

Comment

Working...
                X