Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another QUICK question (re: win installation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another QUICK question (re: win installation)

I just put my hd's in my new system and am trying to figure out how to boot from the secondary cd-rom so that I can install windows. What are the commands? Also, there is a drive A:\ error. Does this matter (aside from the obvious)? I should be able to install win without a floppy, right? Thanks,

Dimitri
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Maybe you got the floppy ribbon cable on wrong. Connector will go on either way, except one way will work and the other wont. Check your BIOS setup for proper settings too.

Go into BIOS and change your boot preference to CD ROM/A/C. Then run setup from CD.

Or use a Win 98 StartUp Floppy Disk, providing your floppy drive works, select item #2 for CD ROM support and it will load CD ROM drivers. Then you can run setup off Cd ROM.

Or make a Win98 directory on your hard drive and copy the Win98 folder from CD to it. Setup runs faster off the hard drive and you will have the folder there if additional drivers are needed, or simply delete it afterwards to free disk space.
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

I dont know if you can BOOT of a secondary CD-ROM? (do you mean that you have two, or is it a slave?)

I always shove a copy of the Win98 CD on as it saves time later/speeds up installation etc...

also, check the floppy cables thay can be a bitch to get in place.
      - i find that they tend to be in the opposite orientation the the IDE cables, but that could just be me.

good luck,
      Patrick
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

(I) am trying to figure out how to boot from the secondary cd-rom so that I can install windows
        er.. you are not trying to boot from the windows cd are you?
        I have only seen one copy of Win2k that was bootable?
        I take it that you have your own bootable cd which you want to use, and then install windows?

[This message has been edited by Cheggers (edited 10 March 2000).]
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Actually, if he's got the full Win2K Pro CD, it is bootable. I used that for my installation.

Muad'Dib, you just need to make sure that your bios is set to boot from the CD before the CD drive. Most of the current Mobo's support this, although some older ones do not.

I have to agree with SCompRacer about the floppy problem. The last time I had this problem was right after I put my own new system together, and I had the connecting ribbon flipped on the floppy drive.

------------------
          Ace
          "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
          Gainward Ti4600
          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I keep noticing these threads to late.
            Oh well, if it's not too late, and even if it is, then at least this is something to keep in mind for the future.
            I would highly recomend not installing straight from the CD. Create a directory on your HD for the CAB and setup files and install from there. Not only does it go faster, but if windows wants to copy stuff from the "CD" you don't have to rumage around and try and fine the damn thing. You always the files at hand. And provided you have a large enough hard drive, you'll never notice the loss of space.

Just a word of advice.
            HedsSpaz
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Ok, thanks, but how do I copy the cd to the hd without an os?
              "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
              --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Create a boot disk with the appropriate CDROM drivers. Fdisk, and format.com. Create your partitions as you want them, format your partitions. then create a directory to put the cabs in. For Win 98 i usually put them in C:\windows\options\cabs. If you have a copy of the Win98 or Win95 install boot disks just make sure that they have format.com on them and use that. They have generic CDROM drivers that work with just about everything.

If you don't have said disk then I can zip the files and upload them somewhere if you like.
                Primary System:
                MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                Seccondary System:
                Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                Tertiary system
                Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

That's a very good point, HedzSpaz, but it appears that Win2K already does something to this effect anyway. I didn't bother copying the CD off to the hdd, but I have yet to be prompted by Win2K for the CD, through several hardware changes and through even more network changes (Services and protocols), unlike my Win98SE installation, which seems to LOVE to ask for the CD.

------------------
                  Ace
                  "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600
                  AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Hey Ace, thanks for the heads up, thats pretty cool that windows finally behaves a little better. Gives me something else to look forward to once I get my new Mobo and install 2000. Especially since the Cabs for 2000 take up so much damn space.
                    Primary System:
                    Seccondary System:
                    Tertiary system

Comment

Headspaz - could you email the files to me? I'm not at home, butI think my problem may be that my a:\ is f'ed up. When I change the drive, it might work, but I doubt it. I made the boot disk off the bad drive, so maybe that's effecting it. I'll try when I get home though. If you could, my email is dpalilis@ucla.edu . Thanks for all the help,

Dimitri
                      --- Albert Einstein

Comment

I have been using a Win 98 startup disk as it has CD ROM support.

Then I go to the C prompt, and type, ignoring quotes, "MKDIR Win98" . Then I head over to the CD ROM prompt, and type, ignoring quotes, "copy Win98 C:Win98" . Head back to the C prompt and type CD Win98 and then run setup from there.

Of course it only works with Full or Upgrade, not the Win 98SE Update version.
                        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                        Matrox P
                        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                        LianLiPC70

Comment

Yeah, I know how to install winblows-very-much once I get to DOS, getting there is the problem. I fixed the floppy drive (not the one that blew up... ) and still nothing. I'm still getting that shit saying "invalid system disk" or bootup disk or whatever it says. Once I get access to a command prompt, I'm perfectly fine. That's the problem I'm having though is getting there....

More advice???

Dimitri

P.S.: To answer cheggars ? which I just noticed (sorry), I have two cd's. My primary cd is a DVD drive (which is fairly slow) and my secondary is a std 32X sony.
                          --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Errrr Dimitri... maybe a strange question, but did you try putting your floppy flatcable in the floppy drive up-side-down??

That sometimes might give the same error as well... just try to put the flatcable in with the red strip turned away from the power in...

Jorden.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden, on MY floppy (don't know about yours, but... ), pin #1 is on the side closest to the power pins. Is this mismarked? For now, I have to leave it as it is cause I'm leaving, but please explain this.... Keep em coming people. Thanks,

Dimitri

Not a working sig yet, but it looks cool...

------------------
                              Athon 700
                              MSI K7-PRO (110 version)
                              G400 MAX
                              196 Megs PC100 RAM
                              20 gig Maxtor
                              6 gig WD
                              DVD-ROM (2nd gen)
                              RealMagic Hollywood + DVD decoder
                              32X cd-rom
                              Crappy sound card (with a GREAT stereo )
                              All I need is to put the freakin thing together!!!!! (and another excuse to suck at UT [c'mon people, keep em rolling ])

New Excuse: My shift key get's stuck. That's why I die....
                              --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X