X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran to disconnect from internet

CNET....

Iran expected to permanently cut off Internet by August

Millions of Internet users in Iran could soon be permanently cut off from the Web, social networks, and e-mail.

In a statement released last week, Reza Taghipour, the Iranian minister for Information and Communications Technology, announced it plans to establish a national intranet within five months in an effort to create a "clean Internet," according to an International Business Times report. "All Internet Service Providers (ISP) should only present National Internet by August," Taghipour said in the statement.

Web sites such as Google, Hotmail, and Yahoo will be blocked and replaced by government-administered services such as like Iran Mail and Iran Search Engine, according to the report. The government has already begun a registration process for those interested in using the Iran Mail that will verify and record user's full name and address.

Iranian Internet users have grown accustomed to censorship. The country's government cut off access to the Internet a few times earlier this year, the latest of which blocked access to all encrypted international sites outside the country that operate on Secure Sockets Layer protocol. Many Iranians use proxy servers over Virtual Private Networks to circumvent government efforts to block access to foreign news sites and social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.

Taghipour told the Islamic Republic News Agency in January that a firewalled national Internet would soon become operational but no specifics were given as to when that would happen. The creation of such a vast "intranet" has worried cyber activists in Iran because it would give the government an advantage in its cyber cat-and-mouse battle with opponents.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The interesting thing here is August.

I still don't exclude war in Iran in 2nd half of the year.

Comment

Turning off the Internet just might trigger a war.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
        Turning off the Internet just might trigger a war.
        How? Why? Between whom?
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

A war over who will get the market for satellite phones and wireless internet equipment in Iran

What an incredibly hopeless idea.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
            How? Why? Between whom?
            How? Because people will suddenly have nothing better to do than to riot and rebel. Their unemployment rate among the young adults it like what...30 something percent? What else is there to to do without the Internet

Why? See how.

Whom? The peoples and the government. This time without distractions...

Comment

Aaahhh, civil war....not likely but who knows.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Yes... disconnecting from Internet thing that starts it all... We now not really have an idea of how much it is censored there (most likely most of the people there also don't know), but with some - even censores - connection to the internet they might have some hope of change. Once they loose that, it could only get worse... so I agree with Jammrock - but not because the people have nothing better to do, but because it might only go downhill from there on... So this could well be the trigger...
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The higher risk is Syria; they've started firing at refugee camps in Turkey, and I can't see the Turks letting that go for long. If the Turks let fly on Syrian positions Iran may come in to help their key ally and the whole f***ing region goes up.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I think Iran is trying to be the North Korea of the Middle East. The problem is they don't have 60 years of brain washing the people to pull it off.

I'm with Doc and VJ that things could get worse in that area very fast, very soon.

Comment

If Iran wants to do it, let 'em. It's nowt to do with us and no skin off our nose.
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                        If Iran wants to do it, let 'em. It's nowt to do with us and no skin off our nose.
                        Ever hear of collateral damage? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the Eastern Med. if that scenario breaks out

If Iran gets crazy-stupid, a real possibility, and decides to empty their Shahab silos in the direction of Turkey, Europe, the 6th fleet etc. things get bad as the Shehab can carry multiple warheads. US and European Aegis destroyers & cruisers will be firing antimissile barrages like the 4th of July. Any intercepts, or misses by either side, could well fall on your head.
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 April 2012, 09:40.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sure, all hell will certainly break loose because Iran take wire snippers to their Internet connection. Get real!

I'm really worried that Cyprus will be their first target.
                          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                            Sure, all hell will certainly break loose because Iran take wire snippers to their Internet connection. Get real!

I'm really worried that Cyprus will be their first target.
                            I agree that that is an unlikely scenario. :-)

But for sure it might upset already fragile markets (fuel prices, cost of war, ...). Even if any battle there does not impact us directly, it will impact us.
                            pixar
                            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                              The higher risk is Syria; they've started firing at refugee camps in Turkey, and I can't see the Turks letting that go for long. If the Turks let fly on Syrian positions Iran may come in to help their key ally and the whole f***ing region goes up.
                              And so will the price of oil ..
                              paulw

Comment

Working...
                              X