Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Glass

I want one

This is an early concept video that was made when Project Glass was just getting started. While a lot has changed since then, our motivation to get technolog...

paulw

It scares me...

Studies have already shown that people memory have started working in a different way, as they subconsciously know that "they don't have to remember things, they can google it". I even experience it (e.g. remembering actor names is more difficult because you know you can just google the movie and get it), and I really hate it - I'd rather spend a few minutes trying to remember it than googling, just to keep my mind working. This concept even seems to take this one step further: why bother remembering a meeting? A shopping list? The way to another subway station?

Also, do you really want something to pop up when you are walking/driving? If I want to see information, I'll look at a device, but I don't want a device telling me what I should be seeing at what time.
    Looking out the window and getting a weatherforecast... what is different compared to just looking at a screen, thermometer, or looking outside making your own assessment? The example of the subway line is nice... but how often does it happen? And most often there will be a sign explaining an alternative. It also seems to take away all the spontaneity and impulse: everything is planned and presented, but life doesn't work like that. I like surprises and unexpected things. Unexpected encounters, ... To me, it really puts you even more on an island.

Don't get me wrong, I think the concept could be useful in some professions (perhaps in surgery, overlaying or displaying x-ray or other images), people operating machinery with both hands that need communication or instructions, ...
    But wearing something like that in everyday situations scares me... (and I am a guy who likes gadgets!)
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It's still a little disconcerting being at the store and seeing someone walking by talking to himself like a madman and having to remember that there's such a thing as bluetooth headsets. Slightly more disconcerting is getting right alongside them and realizing they have no bluetooth headset.

Weirder still would be having to give constant verbal instructions to one's eyeglasses. Can you imagine every person you see on the street doing it every second of every day? You think modern civilization is noisy now?

Comment

There is also work on putting this into contact lenses and, eventually, as lens implants. Uses include not only this and entertainment (no more TV/monitors) but books, repair/assembly manuals for manufacturing etc. but also to provide "super-vision"; telescopic, microscopic, IR etc. for special forces or whatever. Some day profs will have a whole new way pf cheating to deal with
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 April 2012, 11:35.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X