Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sci+ide system all works fine. until i floppy boot

hi

i have a sym 8751 uw controller, using 1 wide 1 ultra 1 scsi cdrom and 1 scsi cdrw
    in addition there is also a big ide drive with 15gb installed.

now i boot from the scsi ultra hd where the boot managers are also installed providing me with choice for win2k or win98
    win98 is on the ultra scsi hd, win2k on the wide.

i will ahve to reinstall win98.

now when i reboot from floppy disk i get unlike before i changed my mainboard the ide drive as drive c:
    the wide is recognized without further help, but is beeing assigned as odd d: drive and the normal c: drive is beeing assigned by symdisk.sys as e:

i cann not access e: if i try to, thus im not able to reinstall win98 from a floppy boot.

i think that may come from the drive letter mismatch.

what are my possibilities to ensure that the id0 scsi drive is really drive c: at the bootup. the bios provides the option for boot order, but he seems only ensuring that as long as you really boot from that.

hm i have no clue how to reinstall win98 now.

any helping thoughts ?`

the board is a biostar m7mka running an athlon 700. graphic card matrox g400 32 dh
    256 mb system ram.

Hi string hi,

with SCSI why not load an individual op system on each drive without a boot manager? I have an Adaptec SCSI controller chipset, and when SCSI select comes up I just choose the drive I want to boot from, ID 0, ID 1 etc. If I want to boot from IDE, I just go into BIOS and select boot from IDE.

I also name my drives so they are easier to identify. You could also copy the Win 98 folder to the hard drive you want to install it on from Win 2000, provided it is a full or Upgrade version you can run setup from.

As far as the added drive letter, are you referring to the virtual drive that the Win 98 boot disk creates?

------------------
    ASUS P2B-LS*P III 500*256MB ECC RAM*Cheetah LVD*Barracuda UW*DiamondMAX IDE*Plextor Ultraplex 40max/Plexwriter 12/4/32*Hitachi IDE DVD*SB Live*3Com Courier V.*Hollywood +*Win 98SE, Win 2000*

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
    X