Hung at "PCI BUS SCAN COMPLETE".....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hung at "PCI BUS SCAN COMPLETE".....

I recently ran into a problem on a K7M I just bought and I would like to get some ideas as to the solution.

I am trying to boot off a win98 startup disk and load CDROM drivers in the process. I see the Sony driver load and msd001 come up, then I get a message stating:

"PCI BUS SCAN COMPLETE"

and the machine simply hangs there. I would think that I have a conflict somewhere but for the life of me I cant seem to get around it. I have three different drives that I have attempted to use:

HP CDWriter9100i
    Kenwood 62X
    Toshiba 6702B

All return the same problem. Any ideas on how to get around this?

Incidently, my reason for doing this is to clear up a FIFO vs. UDMA problem I have with the drivers that WIN98 loads for my udma66 HDD, CDR, and one CDROM. I originally loaded the VIA drivers and then realized that this was not the thing to do in 98. Since, I have messed far too much with it and have gotten no where. Win98 wants to use the FIFO drivers no matter what. So...I decided to do a fresh load of Win98...however I am now facing the CDROM driver issue.

Anyways, any input on either issue is appreciated...feel free to flame, yell, etc...as long as you give me some ideas I can hang..8-)

You are loading ASPI drivers for Adaptec SCSI cards - they are enabled by default on Windows boot floppy disk. Normally they should detect SCSI card in computer or abort if none is present. In some cases it fails - like yours. Look into your CONFIG.SYS on this floppy and disable all rows with ASPI*.SYS lines... then it will load ATAPI drivers and continue correctly.

Comment

I set my bios defaults to fail safe and got access to my drives. Reloaded WIN98 however it still comes up with FIFO drivers for my three drives. So I loaded the IDE drivers off of the Asus K7M CD and got the UDMA PCI Bus Master driver. Under HDD in System I see that the HDD is UDMA. However, both the CDR and the CDROM are FIFO. Both are UDMA33 capable. I also ran the VIADMA utility which indicates that all three drives are UDMA on. I then ran SiSoft-Sandra and it indicates that all drives are FIFO.....Not sure what to think here.

BTW...thanks for the feedback prophet...I am new to the Matroxusers forum...very nice....appreciate the input.

SN

Comment

boot to safe mode. get cd install floppy disk and run it. copy new autoexec.bat,config.sys,mscdex.exe and whatever driver the cd startup is looking for to a formatted 'format a:/s' floppy disk.
        boot from the floppy and copy the
        win98' folder to your hard drive.
        you can now install from the hard drive.

------------------
        k6-3 450 @500 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16b UDMA33 - VIA 4-in-1 Ver.1419 - maxtor diamondmax plus 13.6GB - 7200 rpm (UDMA66 cable)- g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 5.41 (DISABLED) - AGP1x (NOT MY CHOICE) - 128MB 10ns sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - d-link PCI for the 3com CMX cable modem - win98SE ICS
        dx7.0a - V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
        Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
        g400 max-
        256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
        dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
        Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Paul,

Thanks for the info but he's now past that problem. He's got a new problem that he can't seem to resolve. He just bought a new system with the K7M Athlon 700 etc...
          Problem is that he can't get UDMA to work. When he goes to propeties of any of his devices that support UDMA, the DMA checkbox isn't even there! He's tried installing all of the drivers but his system gets confused between FIFO drivers and the VIA drivers. I don't understand why the checkbox isn't even there. It's a UDMA /66 HD, and he also has an HP CDRW that supports UDMA. Anyone out there with K7M experience and UDMA /66 devices mixed with other UDMA devices? I haven't been to his house yet to take a look at it myself but it sounds like he's doing everything right. I convinced hom to get a G400 so I told him to post here. I know he's upgraded his mobo bios, G400 bios & drivers, sblive drivers etc...I don't really know how the driver setup is for the K7M

OH sh*t! I just htought of something really messed up! The K7M I think doesn't use the VIA chipset, let me check....uh oh It supports the AMD-751 chipset. Now I'm really confused. I better call him up and settle this. Anyway, any advice would be good besides "you are a dumbass for using the via drivers on an AMD board". hehe, kinda funny I'll give an update later.

Dave

------------------
          I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
          X