Your mobile network speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your mobile network speed

I wanted to test Joiku spot (app for tethering to wifi on your phone) and did some speed tests. I'm located in populated urban area and it's off peak hours now. Priorly I was using bluetooth for tethering with Nokia 6120 and Thinkpad X61T but this laptop lacks it.

The speeds I got from my laptop tethered to my Nokia E52 are:
    1.81 down
    1.17 up
    ping of 113ms

I have 300MB included in my 25 EUR/month plan, otherwise in most places where I might be (home, office, customers, cafes I go to...) there is Wireless to be found, so tethering is just for emergency purposes or for things like web browsing and chatting on train rides (though once you get across border roaming costs are atrocious and you better switch it off).

Pretty good result, I remember few years ago when I did some testing with USB UMTS dongle I got about ~200kB down 100kBish up.

This is what wired internet at home looks like (10Mb optics)
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 27 March 2012, 16:02.

iPhone 3GS 16g wifi'ed through our Cisco router - peak hour though at 7 PM so the ping isn't that fast. Most of the numerous wifi hotspots in our area use AT&T, which is pretty similar. Don't need to tether anything as every other store seems to have a hotspot, even clinics and especially restsurants.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 March 2012, 16:28.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Look like my 3G speeds. WiFi wise, haven't connected to anything faster than a friends 15/5 FiOS and it does all that and more. Local lan speeds are just as fast
      as the PC is on N. Tho not as fast as the gigabit ethernet connection
      I use USB tether most of the time, either Natively (rooted) or use PDANet. Can Hotspot and or wifi tether also. Tho I do wired connect mostly because the phone stays charged and if I use PDANet then can also send/receive txts through the PC. Comes in handy
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

My Galaxy S2 is 3159 down and 966 up running on the 850 meg band..
        paulw

Comment

I am 18ms/24.25Mbps down/1.48Mbps up. Cheapest and slowest connection I can buy with my provider. That's cable. Will check mobile in a few.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I get 1.79 Mbps up and 0.47 down on mobile through 3G, Vodafone NL. That is through speedtest.org. .net no worky on my Blackberry.

At first I was astonished by Docs' results but then reread and saw it was WiFi...
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I get 10/1 Mbps from my cable Internet. It's actually always very close to that. They recently updated to DOCSIS 3.0 and I can go up to 25/2 or 50/3.

Mobile I go about 7-8/3 Mbps on Sprint 4G in Charlotte (WiMax) and on 3G I get like modem speeds. Sprint's 3G network has gone to $#!* ever since they got the iPhone.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

This is from my desk at work 28 up and down, sometimes as high as 35. I get about 15 down at home on Cox cable through our ancient Linksys 54g.
                Attached Files
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                X