Whs 2011 - G%#$#&#^$&

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whs 2011 - G%#$#&#^$&

Somehow can not connect my PC (W7-64bit) to the newly built WHS 2011 Server, aborts after inputting the password. It is a so called "unexpected" error. No clue what to do with this and the forums don't help either. For a "home" product, it seems somewhat unsupported/underdocumented and, well, dificult.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Oh, and the computers see each other, that's not it (and I get the connector downloaded without issue).
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

What is it using to connect?
      Homegroup?
      Some quasi domain?

If it's using quasi domain then try installing some management tools or powershell: maybe your computer or user account is locked

If it's using homegroup, create new homegroup and reconnct.

Found this:

Also check permissions.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 17 March 2012, 16:11.

Comment

Thx, had that already an no love.

No clue on homegroup/domain. Thing is, I'm not intop networking, it's about the one thing in IT that I _fear_ to have issues with as I just don't get it. That is why I purchased a Home server OS...

Comment

Try Looking at these settings

Does a security event get writen to the event viewer after the failure?

Try looking in your "Security Options" folder under "Local Policies" in the Local Security Policy icon in the Administrative Tools folder in control panel. Ther are a bunch of settings there that affect networking.

My pc is running Win 7 UE 64bit but the rest of my stuff at home is "legacy" hardware, I had to define the NTLM key to accept NTLM traffic, I think this adjust the Server Message Block(SMB).

Good Luck

Comment

Uhm, on which PC need I check Security Options? Where is the event viewer?

Anyway, here's what I have:
            I can not connect. W7 Home Premium
            - I can use servername/connect and I can then download the connector software and I can run it.
            - It shows a few windows, talks to the WHS box briefly (spike in network activity in both task managers) and prompts for password of the server
            - I input password of server (and if I mistype it tells me it is not the correct pw!), then it tells me shortly thereafter:
            "An unexpected error has occured. For more information, see Troublehsoot connecting computers to the server."

Rather nondescript.

The log tells me:
            [3332] 120318.113001.0132: ClientSetup: Start of ClientDeploy
            [3332] 120318.113001.4968: General: Initializing...C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\ClientDeploy.exe
            [3332] 120318.113001.5124: ClientSetup: Loading Wizard Data
            [3332] 120318.113003.0568: ClientSetup: Current DeploymentStatus=Running
            [3332] 120318.113005.3812: ClientSetup: Showing the Client Deployment Wizard
            [3332] 120318.113006.0364: ClientSetup: Adding Server Info data in the Product Registry
            [3332] 120318.113006.1456: ClientSetup: Set the Deployment Sync Event
            [5732] 120318.113010.0144: ClientSetup: Running ValidateUser Tasks at WizardPage HomeServerCred
            [5732] 120318.113010.0612: ClientSetup: Entering ConnectorWizardForm.RunTasks
            [5732] 120318.113010.0612: ClientSetup: Running Task with Id=ClientDeploy.ValidateUser
            [5732] 120318.113010.1080: ClientSetup: Entering ValidateUserTask.Run
            [5732] 120318.113010.1860: ClientSetup: Install root cert to local trusted store
            [5732] 120318.113010.3888: ClientSetup: Validating User
            [5732] 120318.113010.3888: ClientSetup: Call MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus
            [5732] 120318.113115.9713: ClientSetup: MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus had errors: ErrorCatalog:ProviderNotAvailable ErrorCode:-1
            BaseException: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity. MachineIdentityException: MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus
            at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity. MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus(String serverName, String userName, String password, String machineName, Boolean& isAdmin)
            at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.Clien tDeploy.ValidateUserTask.Run(WizData data)
            [5732] 120318.113115.9713: ClientSetup: Exiting ValidateUserTask.Run
            [5732] 120318.113115.9713: ClientSetup: Task with Id=ClientDeploy.ValidateUser has TaskStatus=Failed
            [5732] 120318.113115.9713: ClientSetup: Task with Id=ClientDeploy.ValidateUser has RebootStatus=NoReboot
            [5732] 120318.113115.9713: ClientSetup: Exting ConnectorWizardForm.RunTasks
            [3332] 120318.113115.9713: ClientSetup: JoinNetwork Tasks returned TaskStatus=Failed
            [3332] 120318.113336.8708: ClientSetup: Back from the Client Deployment Wizard
            [3332] 120318.113336.8864: ClientSetup: Saving Wizard Data
            [3332] 120318.113336.9020: ClientSetup: End of ClientDeploy: ErrorCode=1603

My client-computer-name is ASCII only, I even changed it to delete the hyphen ("-"), which I think is ASCII, no?
            Server computer name is ASCII as well. I did change the Workgroup though. It is now the same as all other computers in the house but no longer "WORKGROUP", could that be an issue?

Dates/Time/Zones are the same. The WSS Certificate Web Service is running (and it is a shame that for a "Home" product I should be bothered with this at all).

I disabled IPv6 (that is, on both computers I want to the network adapter properties and deselected Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6). Not _entirely_ sure that is what they mean by disabling IPv6.

Both computers "see" each other in the network map. Have not made users, activated RDP or web acces yet. Want to get this running first.

Any help would be soooo much appreciated.

Comment

FOund the Event Viewer on the client. One thing I see is "Updates to the IIS metabase were aborted because IIS is either not installed or is disabled on this machine. To configure ASP.NET to run in IIS, please install or enable IIS and re-register ASP.NET using aspnet_regiis.exe /i." -- Should I have IIS on a client??

"Security Options" folder under "Local Policies" in the Local Security Policy icon in the Administrative Tools folder in control panel.
              Found control pannel and Admin Tool (that, at least, I know). but there is no Local Security Policy icon there.

One other thing, I do not have a PW on my client, at power-on it'll boot to the desktop, not a page before where you need to select a user. But I don;t see how that should be an issuer as the connector does not use, AFAIK, Windows user authentification.
              Last edited by Umfriend; 18 March 2012, 04:13.

Comment

This may be to the point -
                Find it on Q&A — the home for technical questions and answers at Microsoft. New to Q&A? See our get started article below.

Some more tips
                Find it on Q&A — the home for technical questions and answers at Microsoft. New to Q&A? See our get started article below.

Last edited by degrub; 18 March 2012, 07:48.

Comment

No luck. I am really wondering about this part:
                  [5732] 120318.113010.3888: ClientSetup: Call MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus
                  [5732] 120318.113115.9713: ClientSetup: MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus had errors: ErrorCatalog:ProviderNotAvailable ErrorCode:-1
                  BaseException: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity. MachineIdentityException: MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus
                  at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity. MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus(String serverName, String userName, String password, String machineName, Boolean& isAdmin)
                  at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.Clien tDeploy.ValidateUserTask.Run(WizData data)

Apparantly it uses 5 arguments for GetMachineStatus but I have not set a pw for the only user (me) of this client. Wil this be the issue?

Comment

Few ideas:

It appears that service on the machine is not running or the server cannot find the machine.

Also how is your DHCP and DNS setup. I installed one SBS 2k11 and it bitched to no end when I didn't allow it to be the DHCP.

Try setting both the server and machine to use server as primary DNS. Secondly you should also configure server as DHCP server for machine since like this WHS finds and keeps status on machines.

All the other stuff such as updates, backup,... tie into this that server hands IPs to machines and then keeps status of them in DNS.

I kind of don't like such setup for a home or small business server as server may go down for numerous (hardware failure, software failure) reasons and be down for few days while if you use a cheap SOHO router, you can keep a spare one handy and it takes only 1h to reconfigure. If DHCP and DNS go down users cannot access internet.

Comment

OK, so here I am lost: Isn't my router the DHCP/DNS thingy?

Comment

last three posts of this thread:

set your server to a fixed address on the network, same for other machines, chk the router config.

possible WHS is trying to be DHCP server as well as your router ?

There was also one tip on first startup/load of server to keep the timezone on PST for 24 hours., then change it to local. Go figure. Something MS.

Seems to be a pretty common issue with WHS though.
                        Good luck.

Comment

Windows SBS and probably home servers also (home is same family) rely on DHCP and DNS to know where machines are.

If your router is DHCP/DNS then server has no way of knowing what is name of your machine and where it is. If WHS is DHCP and DNS then it hands out IP to machine computer1 and then registers it with dns as computer1.homedomain.local. Then the utility that does stuff to your machine (backup, scan for malware, check for updates, upload your secret data to Bill Gates - just kidding) finds it by going to machine1.homedomain.com

If your router is DHCP thingy - I don't know about WHS but SBS 2011 menstruates all over logs because of this with DHCP service errors if it's disabled.

This is general problem with home and small business servers. They rely on scripts and wizards to make things easier and abstract stuff one needs to know about from administrator. But as soon things go out of scope of abstractions, one needs to know and rely on standard Windows Server administration tools. The same thing can be said about administration utilities in Gnome desktop. It edits config files for you but if it errors or fails, you need to know or assume what it wanted to do to which config files in order to make it work.
                          Last edited by UtwigMU; 18 March 2012, 17:01.

Comment

Driving nuts me this is. Gonna rebuild the server as I did install an add-in (DrivePool) and changed the workgroup name (although I do not use workgroups) and will apply all updates first before I try anything else.

One of the tips I has was to assign a fixed IP to the Server, which I did. Worked fine till two days ago. As of yesterday it does not connect to the internet. I can ping from server to client but not from client to server in that condition. If I let WHS fix it then it becomes the DHCP thingy and I am unable to combine DHCP thingy AND have it have a fixed IP.

Tried loads of other stuff (having Net.tcp sharing service automatic instead of disabled at client), added the fixed ip of server (when that still worked) to the host file. Un/re-installed Net 4.0 at client.

Will keep you posted. Maybe Jammrock has some inside knowledge? It seems support for the WHS 2011 product is a bit lacking which, I guess, is understandable as it is sort of a niche within their entire Server 2008 product series.

Utwig, do you know if the SBS-servers use similar connector service and whether they have similar issues?

Comment

I'm running SBS 2k3 myself (not enough hardware to run 2k11 which I'd like to), have 2k8 and 2k11 Standard (not Aurora Essential which is basically a home server)

They don't run any connectors and my 2k3 and customer's 2k11 are not DHCP servers.

It's a windows domain with Exchange and you have users, computers, permissions.

You have to back up workstations yourself (create a share, give yourself permissionsa and backup to network share. XP and 7 do this while Windows Server backup in Vista does not want to backup to network share).

They support PPTP VPN, while you can also make SSTP VPN (over 443 which is not blocked in many hotels, etc...) work in 2k11 if you issue and bind cert with correct CRLs.

Issues:
                              my 2k3: was a bitch to migrate to 2TB 4k sector drives and I had to manually create correctly sized partitions in order to have dynamic disks and C and D on first drive, motherboard died, had to replace it (booted up without problem on new motherboard NF4/Sempron > Intel Q33/C2Duo and required a few driver updates)
                              2k8: WSUS was configured to download updates and keep logs. This filled up HDD, server certificate expired
                              2k11: one original HP HDD fell out of software RAID twice, backup corrupted itself in Small Business console (no status), but it works in Windows Server backup snap-in
                              Last edited by UtwigMU; 20 March 2012, 04:48.

Comment

Working...
                              X