odd problems with a 3com and ICS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd problems with a 3com and ICS

etherlink III 3c509b Combo under win98se.

i use a win2k computer as ICS comp & dedicated firewall. the win98se comp ran without problems before i changed some hardware (motherboard and cpu)

so it reinstalled most system drivers with the effect that i had to use now the legacy isa drivers for the p&p card.. ok so far no problem as the card is working properly.

i also can ping myself 192.168.0.2, or the ICS host (.1 if i allow the firewall to reply on pings. k.)

so far:
    1. the card is working
    2. the network is working.

but i cant resolve any name, or even ip out of the LAN here. if i try to browse to any site outside i get a dns error.
    if i use the IP of the site in the browser i also get a dns error.

i used fixed ip settings in network tcp/ip, wins disabled, gateway 192.168.0.1 and dns is the ISP's DNS server.

but all these things are correct. i had that problem before one time when i reinstalled something, and i didnt found it out. if i reinstall windows all will be fine.

before i had a 3com i never experienced such problems when altering hardware on the system.

does anyone has a hint ?

also i cant find out how to disable "netbios over tcp/ip" on the client as i cant klick on the button (its grey and toggeled).
    i think that before that was not switched.

under win2k on client there is no problem using the ics server computer to get in internet.
    also the 2 other clients had/have never a problem.

Try these two things

1. do not specify an IP adress for the client computer, just let him get it's own

2. Remove the standard gateway

If you leave everything to standard setting it will work
    -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

Comment

i will try it, although as i said it worked before.
      the only difference between this machine and another client nearly same configuration is that at that lient netbios over tcp is OFF
      and here its toggeled ON and shaded grey so i cant toggle that

does anyone knows how i can switch that off ??

i will try your tip, although i think that i no documentation neither with fixed nor with dhcp or wins the gateway for the client should be missing

Comment

Working...
      X