How real people will use Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How real people will use Windows 8

and not the nerds we are and that's indeed the majority of people i guess ...

My dad tries Windows 8 for the first time.

Tried it as well and for me the big question is: Why should any company switch over to Windows 8? The ones that switched to Windows 7 when it came out will not see any good reason to switch to Windows 8 and for the ones staying at XP (like my company here) i don't see any reason again why they would choose Windows 8 if they haven't chosen Windows 7 yet ...

Or is there some magic version available for companies that i don't know of?

R.
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

A UX designer's constructive feedback (former MS employee) on Windows 8.

I agree on many of the issues he's raising. Metro looks nice, but it seems inherently more easy to use on a touchscreen than with mouse+keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido View Post
      The ones that switched to Windows 7 when it came out will not see any good reason to switch to Windows 8 and for the ones staying at XP (like my company here) i don't see any reason again why they would choose Windows 8 if they haven't chosen Windows 7 yet ...
      For companies still on XP, the nearing end date of the support might be the reason to change. And then it might be better to change to the latest version (if it is somewhat established already) in order to gain a long time support.

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
      I agree on many of the issues he's raising. Metro looks nice, but it seems inherently more easy to use on a touchscreen than with mouse+keyboard.
      The whole metro thing seems to me an interface to bring the computer in the living room, with casual work on a touch screen. I'm not too convinced it adds to the productivity in a work environment... Maybe if people work more on touchscreens, but most work environments lack touchscreen, and I feel the work itself requires more traditional input methods: I imagine it mostly to be dealing with documents or code (editing), not working with a Minority-Report like interface. So it may be a case of "too early"...?

It actually makes me wonder if it is not a test by MS: see how it is received, and then either go Metro all the way, or merely keep it as a touchscreen interface/shell.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
      X