Bad Partition Table ?!??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Partition Table ?!??!

(Sorry if i've made somes mistakes, but i'm not very good in english. So I hope that everyone will be able to understand my problem! )

Ok, i have 2 HD.
    First one a Quantum Fireball 4.3 gig.
    There is only 1 partition C: (2 gig) on this HD. The rest of the free space is in the extended partition(I'll use it for Linux, about 2 gig).
    And Win98SE is installed on this partition.

The second HD its a Western Digital 10.2 gig and I have 3 partitions. (D: 2.5 gig, extended 6.6 gig, and 2 paritions of 3(E: ) and 3.6(F: ) gig).
    And Win2k is installed on D:

And recently I had few trouble(and i still have) with my E:
    Under Win2k and Win98SE there is no trouble, i can see and read on the drive E:
    When i go in DOS, I'm unable to view my files!!!!! And the DIR command is telling me that E: is empty! 0 bytes used on 3 gig! But i've filled my E: with some data (just for testing) and under Win2k its using like 100 megs and 0 bytes under DOS. Oh, and with Partition Magic under DOS i can see that my E: got 100 megs used!

So recently i've removed E:, F: and the extended partition (using fdisk and i've also tried with the partition manager under Win2k), there was no problem at this point.
    I've rebooted re-configure the partition (no problem yet...), i've run format on E: and I've received and error:

Bad Partition Table

I've run format on F: and it was perfect!
    So after everything i've done i still can't see my data in DOS!

So what do I do ? Low Level format ?

And there is no bad sector of any hard disk!
    And AVP(Anti Viral Program) said that I can't read the Master Boot Record on each HD!
    So i've tried to fix the problem with fdisk /mbr and with the Recovery Console
    but it didn't make any change!

------------------
    The body can't live without the mind!

[This message has been edited by JackONeil (edited 08 March 2000).]

When you say DOS do you really mean DOS or are you talking about the Command Prompt option from the Win98 boot menu? If it is DOS then the problem is the size of the logical drive on the extended partion, DOS only supported drives of 2Gb so if you had a 4Gb hard disk and were running DOS/Win3.1/Win95a(OSR1) you had to split it into 2 logical drives of 2Gb each. It is only since Fat32 that this limit has been exceeded.

------------------
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try some times you just might find you get what you need.

{The Rolling Stones}
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I really mean DOS!
      And i'm using FAT32 on all my partition!
      F: is running on FAT32 with 3.6 gig and i don't have this problem

And today, i've deleted E: and F:
      I Re-made 2 new partition
      one of 2 gig(E: ) and another one of 4 gig (F: )! And F: is working very well in DOS and Win2k!
      ?!?!??!?!?!
      And i still have a problem with E:
      even if i've deleted the partition and re-format (it still telling me Bad Partition Table after the format)

I will kill someone! hehehe

Comment

Try a modern virus program. One that is updated for the latest viruses. Most of them can fix partition table viruses. I can see a few things here that point to this type of prob. Hope I am reading you correctly here and this will help you.

------------------
        AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.5010, 1 grey cat, one black cat and one calico

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Hi Bohrn!

Well, like i said... I've tried AVP (The virus database is maybe 1 month old)
          And AVP didn't tell me that it was possible to fix this problem!

Anyway I'll retry with the database updated!
          And could you recommend me a good anti virus program ?

But, what if the anti virus program can't fix the problem ? What can I do ?

------------------

[This message has been edited by JackONeil (edited 09 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by JackONeil (edited 09 March 2000).]

Comment

jack - win98 DOS or 6.22?
            abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
            g400 max-
            256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
            dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
            Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Working...
            X