FSAA becoming a reality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSAA becoming a reality?

Some of you who weren't paying attention may have missed the recent 3dfx V4/V5 announcements, which included a big sell of the FSAA capabilities of the new chips. Well, it would seem that nVidia has done a "me too" and begun testing FSAA enabled detonator drivers. A big performance hit, but cool all the same.

<a href="http://www.nvnews.net/#952464918">nVNews.net - Check it out before it disappears.</a>

G400 can do FSAA right? Any ideas on whether it would take an equal performance hit?

I know this belongs in General Hardware, but it'll get more attention here, so sue me!
    Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Kruzin or Ant... Sue Ozzie31

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

"I know this belongs in General Hardware, but it'll get more attention here, so sue me!"

Nah. I'll just put it where you yourself think it belongs

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

awww, my poor thread got squished down into "general hardware"

btw, I'm not worth suing, I spent all my money on a new TV, which I shall be leaving behind with my parents when I move to the other side of the country! so :P
        Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Since the G200, Matrox cards do fsaa. And the performance hit is of course severe, because the image is rendered internally at the double of the screen res: Like 800x600 fsaa is really rendered at 1600x1200 and then downsampled to 800x600. That´s why we need fill-rate monsters fo fsaa become feasable.

Comment

Agent31,

Just as a matter of interest, are you moving to:

1. The home of the Olympics
            2. The home of the Grand Prix

or

3. Anywhere but those two?
            ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

Yes, FSAA looks nice, but if 800x600 is rendered at 1600x1200, then why not just play at that res. ?? (except from the fact that all text and icons gets a bit small).

Torben R.
              G400 news, info, downloads and mailinglist : http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk

Comment

Even 1600x1200 without fsaa will have jaggies in polygon boundaries. So fsaa is the way to go. In my 17´´ monitor, I´m sure 1024x768 or 1152x864 antialiased would look great.

Comment

Agent31, have you tried the leaked nVidia 5.08 drivers? They apparently have FSAA support and provide a big performance increase on the GeForce.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

My friend with a refrence DDR GeForce (Damn Web Masters get all this free shat!) and a pII 300@450 found Q3 unplayable at 640x480 w/ FSAA enabled. Im interested to see how FSAA works on the 64meg DDR GeForce nVIDIA has en-route to his house...
                    So just so you know, the FSAA stuff is still pretty useless. Personally i don't want matrox to enable FSAA on current cards, as im sure you will all agree, there is NO point. I'll wait for some more fillrate....

------------------
                    PIII 450 @ 504
                    generic BX motherboard
                    G400 MAX : )
                    GlobalWin VOS32!
                    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
                    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
                    Creative 36x CD-ROM
                    96 megs PC100 RAM
                    128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
                    NetGear 10/100
                    Soundblaster 32 AWE
                    Diamond SupraExpress 56k
                    Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
                    1 92mm Sunon Fan
                    4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

Delany - I'm looking to move to Sydney, more work, and much better pay over there.

PaulCS - no, I haven't tried those drivers yet, I intend to do so tomorrow. Though from all accounts, anything less than a 64MB DDR or Quadro isn't going to make the cut.

I'll wait until final release drivers are available before commenting on just how capable my existing hardware is at pushing out games with FSAA enabled.

Right now, I'm battling to keep my pressure cooker of a machine on it's feet. It's stinking hot here, and I've got an overclocked PIII along side an overclock GeForce with 2 HDDs and a hot DVD-ROM drive all burning away, I'm amazed it stays on it's feet for as long as it does! You people in cooler climates really have it good when it comes to PCs let me tell ya!

Comment

/* Start Rant */

OK, some words of advice from a fellow MURCer. Unless you want to see jaggies in every single game you ever look at again in your life, don't try out FSAA!!! I tried it with nVidia's leaked 5.08 drivers. At first, I wondered what was different aside from the framerate being a fair bit lower, so I thought, OK, let's turn it off and see the difference, whoops! BIG mistake, my framerate went from 20fps @ 1024x32bit up to 70fps, and all I could see was jaggies, EVERYWHERE! aaaaaaaaargh! run for your lives! FSAA is the devil!

That aside, those 5.08 drivers have some issues, but holy crap are they fast!

/* End Rant */

/* Begin flames from Matrox worshipers */

------------------
                        PIII 500@585 (2.2V) - ABit BF6 (QJ) - 128MB - 3D Blaster GeForce (135/190) - 12 MB Voodoo2 - SBLive! Value - ViewSonic PS775 - 8.4 + 4.3Gb Quantum Fireball CRs - Pioneer 10x DVD - Win98SE - DirectX 7.0a - Detonator 5.08 - PowerStrip 2.65

Comment

Working...
                        X