Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the overall best UDM/66 PCI card ot there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the overall best UDM/66 PCI card ot there?

I have a HDD that can handle the UDMA/66 transfer rate, but my Soyo mainboard doesn't. So, what's the best card out there? And where can I get it? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I love my Promise Fasttrack..If you get it and another hd to match the one you have It will turn the two drives into 1 twice as big and twice as fast. My C drive puts out 36 megs a secound average sustained. Thats fast.
    Matt

------------------
    Abit BF6, P3 600E AT 900, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

The Highpoint UDMA 66 controller card is supposed to be faster and use less CPU than the Promise controller. I used to use one, the Abit Hot Rod 66, until I got an Athlon board with built in support. I definately got really good transfer rates on my Western Digital Experts (7200 RPM, UDMA 66) and even when the disks were going haywire I never had any slowdowns using any of my apps.

I saw a reveiw a long time ago in a galaxy far far away that compared the 2. The Highpoint was a bit faster and used a bit less CPU. Abit also uses this controller on their BE6, BP6 and the like series of motherboards.

Jammrock

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I have the Iwill SIDE Pro66 (Highpoint controller) and it has worked flawlessly from day 1. I have seen others on these boards have the occasional problem... but after my troubles with the Promise Ultra33 and what I've heard about the Promise Ultra66, I'm very glad I made a different choice.

And I got the card for some $22.50 (including shipping) on auction (Onsale, now Egghead) as well, which is about half the cost of the Promise, so there's another reason to be shopping around...

Good luck!

------------------
        Holly

Yeah, yeah, system specs, whatever...

DFI 2BXPL, Celeron 333@375, 2 sticks 128MB PC100 SDRAM, Maxtor 20GB HDD (woohoo!), Phillips Mag 107B 17" monitor;
        Acer 10X DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Nakamichi 16X 5-disk changer;
        G400 MAX , Diamond Monster Sound MX300, Iwill Ultra66 controller, Trend 10/100 Fast Ethernet controller, Cirrus Logic v.90 PCI modem;
        USB webcam and Acer 620 USB scanner;
        ....and a PS/2 keyboard and mouse ( )

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 09 March 2000).]

Comment

But, the Ultra66 can be converted to a fasttrak 66, with a little chutzpah.
          System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Thanks all. Looks like Highpoint is the way to go. I'll have to order one tonight. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X