Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDMA and Pio

hi

i have a strange problem. i run a(the) biostar board with irongate chipset, an athlon 700. matrox g400 dh 32, symbious scsi 8751, 1x UW hd, 2x U scsi hd's.

1x ibm djna 351520 ide.

ok. if i run the whole system under with acpi setup the primary ide adapter is well taken and runs in udma mode.
    but as acpi makes a bounch of problems (it puts all my pci cards on irq 11 with agp together, and every 3d game or 2d things like ultima online will crash after some minutes) i changed the pc from acpi to "standard pc"
    all problems are gone, the irq's spread well, but somehow it wont run now the ide hd in udma mode.
    i know it did 1 time after i changed from acpi to udma so maybe an initialation problem, but it wont run in udma anymore.
    there is only pio and "auto detect" as parameter.
    is there any way to force udma ?

ah forgotten to add thats under win2k

under win98 runs all fine with acpi, but for win2k i made standard pc out of it.

so how to force udma under win2k is the question

Comment

The same way as in win98, with the device manager. Look for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and then rightclick on the IDE channel the drive is on and choose properties, then select the advanced settings tab.

Comment

yes, as i said in Advanced Settings i can find

Device Type : Auto detection
        Transfer Mode: DMA if available

if i clean boot i will get Pio mode.

now i figured, if i worked before under win98se using ultra DMA
        he will also recognize and use Ultra DMA Mode under win2k..

still not satisfying

Comment

Get the Athlon Win2k drivers update from:
          http://www.win2kworld.com

And try that. You SHOULD leave your machine in ACPI mode, it's better and more stable if you have the correct drivers and BIOS. However, now you'll probably have to reinstall your machine to get it back.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

there is nothing new with that drivers
            brings not sucha good light on win2kworld.. i mean even the win98 drivers are from 10.99

the win2k versions in the file are the same shipped with win2k 2195

for ACPI. i followed the workaround that was suggested by the german C'T magazine.
            if i have to chose between a crashing system and a stable system i chose the stable system.
            unfortunately thats the "standard pc" not the acapi setup.
            under win98 all works fine though.
            the acpi issue under win2k is a known issue though.

thanks for the answer though, although i hehe thought there would be finally new drivers for win2k when i'Ve readed your update suggestions

Comment

Working...
            X