• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad shoots daughters laptop

>22 million hits now...

WSOC-TV....

YouTube dad says authorities pay visit; Daughter gets job offer

YouTube dad says authorities pay visit; Daughter gets job offer

A local father who captured worldwide attention after posting a YouTube rant about his daughter is now responding to all the attention.

Tommy Jordan, from Stanly County, got mad after his daughter complained about doing chores on her Facebook page.

In the video, titled "Facebook Parenting for the troubled teen" shows Jordan pull out a gun and shoots his daughter’s laptop.

The video received more than 21 million views in five days.

“Pay you for chores?” Jordan said in the video. “Are you out of your mind?”

The former Marine wrote on his Facebook page that Child Protective Services officials came to his home in Stanly Co. on Saturday and interviewed him and his daughter — separately — after viewers of the video called with concerns about his actions.

He said the police also stopped by.

“The police by the way said ‘Kudos, sir,’ ” Jordan wrote. "I actually had a "thank you" from an entire detectives squad. And another police officer is using it in a positive manner in his presentation for the school system. How’s about those apples? Didn’t expect THAT when you called the cops did you?”

Police officials in Albemarle told Channel 9 they have received dozens of calls and emails asking why they haven't done anything about the video. Officials said Jordan lives outside of city limits, so his actions are outside of their jurisdiction.

Officials at the Stanly County Sheriff's Office said there are no laws against what Jordan did, so they will not be investigating the matter.

In the Saturday Facebook post, Jordan said he does not regret making the video and stands by his decision to post it.

Jordan's post also said if he had to do it again he would, " Not be smoking a cigarette ... not have used the word "ass" in my comment directed at my daughter ... would have worn my Silverbelly Stetson, not my Tilley hat if I'd known that image was going to follow me the rest of my life and I'd probably have cleaned my boots."

If there is a bright spot for Jordan's daughter, it appears she has at least one job offer from an ice cream shop in the town of Stanley. The offer was posted on YouTube Friday after Jordan's video went viral.
    Warning: Since this video seems to have gone crazy, I figure I'll post this notice. I'm going to read a letter my 15 year old daughter wrote. There ARE some ...
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 February 2012, 05:27.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Still seems quite drastic to me... if that is what he thinks he needs to do go prove his right to his daughter... Or he just wants his 15 minutes of fame... Either way, stupid...
    I would like to think the video is fake, but I'm not too convinced of it.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I feel more sympathy for the laptop than for either him or the daughter. IT was innocent in this matter.

Comment

1) it was real. A .45 makes a big damned hole and if you d/l then single-step through the video you can see them hit.

2) shooting the laptop sends a message that would not have been conveyed as well by taking a hammer or microwave to it. He'd already tried taking it away, so level up.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          ...shooting the laptop sends a message that would not have been conveyed as well by taking a hammer or microwave to it...
          Well I think we can all agree on that.
          The question remains as to what message he conveyed and whether it was an appropriate message.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I prefer crowbars, personally.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

@Doc:
              1. I don't doubt the shooting was real, but the whole story behind it...
              2. There is almost no leveling up from this one; and this was just about her complaining about chores. What if it is something more serious (e.g. she takes the car without permission?).

I agree with cjolley here...
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Shows the difference in cultures - around here he's a freakin' hero and the opposite view is definitely in the minority regardless of politics. Note the cops opinion too.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                  I agree with cjolley here...
                  Odd. For once, my post wasn't intended to express an opinion.
                  Just a wry comment on the comments.
                  I've only seen the vid at work without sound.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Mom & Dad aren't there to coddle and be a kids 24/7/365 buddy. When it comes time to lower the boom for bad behavior then the gloves have to come off, and if that means destroying a favored toy/device that's been used repeatedly in an offensive manner so be it. How this is done is a matter of style and his, being a former Marine, was with his .45 pistol. I give him 9/10 on style points only because I'd have used a 12 gauge shotgun.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Once it's gotten to that point he's already failed.
                      Too much coddling when she was a cute little kitten and now he's mad that she knocks vases off the mantle now that she's a teen.
                      Is he a single dad? That may explain a lot about everyone in the family's behavior.
                      And he needs to work as a High School teacher for a year or two. That would cure him of worrying about what a 15 year old thinks of him. She probably had the opposite feeling ten minutes after her post and then something worse ten minutes after that.
                      Also, it's pretty easy to see who she learned to have a chip on her shoulder from.

My advice:
                      1, No problem, I will pay you for chores. but you have to buy your own stuff.
                      2, Here is a diary. If you need to blow off steam do it in here.

PS I'd be interested to know if the only conversations they have involve discipline.
                      Last edited by cjolley; 15 February 2012, 12:25. Reason: per Doc no.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

WRT single parent - no. At one point in the video he says her mom asked him to put a bullet in it for her too, and there is a step-mom, so this was a team call.
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 February 2012, 08:09.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

What the hell is 'coddling' ? Cuddling and Nuturing, I get, but coddling ?
                          If it really is a word (too lazy and too many tabs open to do a search) its the first time i've heard it used.

As to the video, I would have locked her out of her account on the laptop, and let her have it back.
                          She could use it again when she'd either cracked the system to get/change the password of her account back to what it was, or I had decided that it was long enough and give her the new password.
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Coddle

verb

Childrearing: to raise a child in an over-indulgent or over-protective manner. To pamper.

Cooking: to cook in water heated to just below the boiling point.

They had tried locking her out before and it didn't work. Shooting the laptop was a statement more than just another form of denial.
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 February 2012, 08:49.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

yup it was the statement "I am an idiot that solves things by shooting stuff"
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X