X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd sell the house

CBS Boston....

Car Crashes Through Haverhill Home For The Fifth Time

HAVERHILL (CBS) – If lightning doesn’t strike twice, Haverhill homeowner Jim Curtis has a hard time believing it. He was sitting at the computer in his Amesbury Street home when an SUV plowed through the front wall landing in the living room.

“When I heard the squealing tires, I got up and the car came through right in front of me,” said Curtis.

But since his family first owned the house in 1954, it’s happened at least five times. Another car came through the same wall fifteen years ago, and nearly every side of the house has been hit. In this case, police say a teenage driver was making a left turn at a busy intersection in front of jthe house when he lost control.

“He wanted to make sure I was OK and then said he never wanted to drive again,” says Curtis. The living room is now strewn with debris from couch to chair to splintered wood, and a television that was in front of the wall likely damaged. Fortunately the main beams on the antique home were not hit.

Curtis says the house sits at an intersection where cars accelerate and round the corner too fast, often squealing as they go. “They just push the gas all the way down and take off,” he said.

While he acknowledges his unlucky location he has a solution and would like to petition the state to put a guardrail in front of his home. “I’m feeling a little nervous standing right here,” he said.

Police say the driver has been cited for the accident, and while Curtis is frustrated, he’s more inconvenienced with the repairs that will have to be made.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The house where I lived as a student also had similar accidents on a number of occasions: it was located on the outside of a bend which did not have good visibility, but it gave the impression it had. Cars drove too fast, got surprised by oncoming traffic, swerved, and hit the house. Luckily, it was always at relatively low speed (not enough to significantly damage the house), but the facade has the scars...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I agree with Doc, I'd sell the house or put up some barrier (on my own dime) well before the 5'th incident...
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
        I agree with Doc, I'd sell the house or put up some barrier (on my own dime) well before the 5'th incident...
        Problem is you would need a permit to do such, and would certainly deny that. Local laws probably require a death before they do anything sensible or responsible
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe View Post
          Problem is you would need a permit to do such, and would certainly deny that. Local laws probably require a death before they do anything sensible or responsible
          That's usually what happens down here in NZ. Someone has to die before the cost analysis bean counters will go ahead with it..
          paulw

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe View Post
            Here, either the road or the house would not be built.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
              Here, either the road or the house would not be built.
              Sounds like the house might predate the road. And if accidents have been occurring since at least 1955, it means someone in city planning screwed up a long time ago.

Comment

LOL
                When I was in High School I worked here during summers: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-...koo.Clock.html

There was an intersection where three roads met next to it.
                Amazingly, the smallest one, practically an ally, had the right of way over what looked like a continuous road in front of the shop.
                There was a wreck there EVERY SINGLE DAY. Sometimes two!
                It is baffling that the authorities didn't re-do the right of way there.

PS That was 1968 and 1969. No doubt it is different now.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                X