Partition question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partition question

Newbie to partitions and have a couple of questions.

Does the drive have to be FAT 16 to partition or can it still be FAT32?

Will making a 500 meg partition at the start of it for the windows swap file make things run faster compared to not partitioning at all?

Thankx
    Athlon 500MHz @ 750MHz 1/3
    G400 32 meg Dual-Head Vanilla @ 160.2/200.25 (400.5, 2.5/2.0/2.5)

You can partition a FAT32 drive, although you wont be able to load DOS on it though.
    -not that most people want to these days

I doubt making a 500mb partition will speed things up. In the olden days, i only use to partition my drives to reduce the minimum file size - but with FAT32, there really is no need for it.

Partitioning can get very messy (try using partition magic 4). Make sure you know what you want to do, as once you have done it there is often no going back!

Only partition you drive if:
    • it is HUGE and you want to organinse things e.g. apps/games/os
    • or you want to put several operating systems on it.

Hope i helped,

Patrick

------------------
    QDI-P6I440LX Legend V mobo, Genuwhine Intel Pentium II 300mhz, 256Mb Pc100 RAM, IBM 22.5Gb HD @ 7200 rpm, Matshita 6x DVD ROM (32x read), Creative 2x2x24 CD-RW, Matrox G400 32Mb non-max, Creative AWE 32 2Mb onboard, Scanner Bus card, Netflex 3 Ethernet Adaptor, Hauppage TV card (no i don't pay for a TV licence!), Microsoft SideWinder Joypad, MS-compatable 104 keyboard, MS Intellimouse, ... Oh yeh, and a floppy drive
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
    X