No announcement yet.

visiting LA in April, any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visiting LA in April, any suggestions?

Hi

We've booked flights for the Easter hols for LA. Beyond that nothing is arranged yet.

I'm kinda thinking along the lines of a car/motels or an RV for the first week then a cruise from LA for the second week. Its two adults and two kids (14, 9) so need a balance of things to suit everyone.

I would love to see Vegas and definitely the Grand Canyon. There doesn't seem to be much option in terms of the cruise - Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Diego, Ensenada, Los Angeles is all I've found.

I would really welcome any advice/suggestions on what to see and do, and how to keep costs down.

Many thanks,

Tony.
    FT.

ok, so the cruise is booked (not many cabins left and with so little choice it seemed prudent), just need help weighing up RV vs car+hotels and itinerary for the first week.
    FT.

Comment

If the timing is right and the rains are good, you might catch the high desert in full bloom.
      Find out where the desert wildflowers are blooming in 2023 - read wildflower reports for Southern California from DesertUSA.

There is the observatory and the mountains north of LA. If you like arts and craft architecture it is hard to beat tours of the Greene and Greene houses in Pasadena-

the coastal road, route 1, is blocked from a couple slides

Go the car route. You'll regret an RV in the LA traffic, unless it is once in/out.

Yosemite has not had a real big snow this year, so the park will likely open more sections earlier. Might be a bit far to go though.
      Not just a great valley, but a shrine to human foresight, the strength of granite, the power of glaciers, the persistence of life, and the tranquility of the High Sierra.

First protected in 1864, Yosemite National Park is best known for its waterfalls, but within its nearly 1,200 square miles, you can find deep valleys, grand meadows, ancient giant sequoias, a vast wilderness area, and much more.

Of course there is Disneyland.

Comment

If your kids are into art, there's little to beat the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena as a private collection,

Try the lobsters in Ensenada: they're small but succulent; you will need 2 dozen for four.

In San Diego, you have one of world's best zoos and, outside the city, there is a gigantic wildlife park run by the zoo people: get combined tickets.

Death Valley is worth the experience and is a good trip across the Mojave Desert which is at its best in spring. Take water with you in case of a breakdown. Beware of flash flooding if there is a downpour as can happen in the spring. Vegas is easy to get to from there, but it must be the tattiest city in the 48. For my taste, it is 'orrible! The Strip is all bling and there is bugger all elsewhere and it is currently a city for sale (half the houses are empty).

If there is no fresh snow, a trip to see the sequoias (General Grant) in Kings Canyon is worth while but the drive is hairy in snow.

If you do the Grand Canyon, head north afterwards into Utah to Moab (Arches National Park, Dead Horse Point (views of more Colorado and Green River canyons etc.)

Car/motels are better than a RV, IMO. Motels are everywhere and not expensive. Early in the season, the prices are sometimes negotiable for two rooms.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Sadly our cruise booking has been cancelled. Apparently Princess don't take bookings through US travel agents for people non-US resident. In other words cruise.com shouldn't have taken our money in the first place. Now they'll have my money for 7-10 days which could cause all sorts of complications, plus the best option Princess in the UK will offer me is £200 more for an AFT cabin rather than midships

I am now tempted to forget the cruise and spend the whole fortnight touring. The kids won't be happy though.
          FT.

Comment

The cruise is back on. visiting Cabot San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta on the Carnival Splendor instead.
            It works out better as we can disembark and go straight to the airport rather than have a bitty day in between.
            FT.

Comment

Cabot is nice. Old fishing village converted. Gets a bit crowded. Fish tacos and a bowl of rice are staples there. Grey whale watching is possible and recommended if the migration north has not started. Should be plenty of calves. Fishing trips as well.

Watch out for pickpockets in PV. Bad as Barcelona.

Comment

Have ruled out an RV due to cost and complications of returning it on Easter Sunday.
                FT.

Comment

Ok, so we need somewhere in LA for the first night and a convenient place to get a car.
                  Then we head to LV for three nights, and are spending one night in death valley.
                  So now I need suggestions for the final 2 nights in LA before getting the boat from Long Beach.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

T.
                  FT.

Comment

Depending on how the jet lag hits you and what time you get in, i would try to get out of LA for the first night. Otherwise there are plenty of hotels right at the airport and all the major car rentals are there as well. Shuttle bus to the hotel, next day you may be able to get the car rental co to pick you up at the hotel to go get the car. Otherwise hotel shuttle to the terminal and car rental shuttle bus to them. Saves a day car rental.

You could take a Southwest flight up to Vegas, no bag fees unless overweight. It might be cheaper to rent the car in Vegas for the drive back. Major cost are all the taxes and fees. That's how we pay for our sports stadiums :-) . Talk with the rental agency about which city is cheaper.

Comment

How about taking the Coast Starlight up to San Luis Obispo?
                      Stay the night and morning then back to LA that night.
                      Very pretty and restful. Nice change from driving and flying.
                      Last edited by cjolley; 24 February 2012, 13:25.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Sorry for delay, I'm not getting notifications for this thread.

We land in LA at 22:13 so will probably just want to get to a nearby hotel asap then pick up a car the following morning as you suggest. It would be great to get a car I can drop off near Long Beach prior to the cruise to avoid a long transfer.

Won't have time for a train ride Chuck. I did look in to using trains to get around instead of a car but it didn't suit. I also looked in to changing the outbound flight to LV instead of LA but no can do.

Cheers

T.
                        FT.

Comment

drop off at Long Beach should not be an issue. Check with the rental agency web site for locations.

Comment

You could go here for a look

I don't think that they are showing any Cinerama movies at present..
                            paulw

Comment

Working...
                            X