Passed A+ Essential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed A+ Essential

Great news, passed A+ Essential today, should pass Practical tomorrow and start teaching A+ course on 13th for good money.

Also the place where I'm renting a desk is getting new hot co-worker with big boobs soon. The boss of the place showed me her pic today. She won't be sitting next to me though.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 1 February 2012, 13:51.

Congrats and congrats! Big boobs are a must to have a happy working environment.

Did CompTIA ever implement the re-certification rule for A+?
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Congrats Utwig! I have no clue what this is about but it sounds gr8!
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Congrats!!

Interesting recruitment tool they have there - showing pics of potential high value stress relievers
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It's stuff every techie should know. Here are chapters from book:

1 Personal Computer System Components
          2 Storage Devices, Power Supplies and Adapters
          3 Understanding Display Devices
          4 Understanding Lapotps and Portable Devices
          5 Installing and Configuring Printers
          6 Operating System Features and Interfaces
          7 Installing and Configuring Operating Systems
          8 Troubleshooting Theory and Preventive Maintenance
          9 Troubleshooting Operating Systems, Hardware, Printers and Laptops
          10 Understanding Netowking
          11 Understanding Network Security Fundamentals
          12 Understadnding Operational Procedures
          13 Installing, Maintaining, and Troubleshooting Hardware
          14 Installing, Configuring and Troubleshooting Laptops
          15 Resolving Printer Problems
          16 Operating System Structures and Commands
          17 Operating System Utilities and Troubleshooting Issues
          18 Installing and Troubleshooting Networks
          19 System Security

You get asked stuff about CPUs, voltages, connectors, memory types, network cable types, wireless security, handling customer cases, cleaning laser printers, troubleshooting booting, printing, BSODs, recovery, file attributes, backup... Not hard for someone who is in IT for a few years but I need to teach this stuff in 10 days. I knew most of stuff before studying, except US labour and chemical hazard regulations, fiber and obsolete network cabling and fixing laser printers.

They are not recruiting me, they are not a rent a desk business. It's simply they have many empty desks due to recession and we like each other.

I know them since I used to work with them 10 years ago (taught Photoshop, Corel Draw and did some design freelancing). They like more people there and we have sinergies and can help each other and atmosphere at the place is great.

Recertification, it's 3 years now.
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 1 February 2012, 16:05.

Comment

Congratulations

I wrote A+ in 1997. I hope it has become a bit more advanced since
            I remember having to know the base address and IRQ for serial ports and what type fire extinguisher was used for electrical fires
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
              Congratulations

I wrote A+ in 1997. I hope it has become a bit more advanced since
              I remember having to know the base address and IRQ for serial ports and what type fire extinguisher was used for electrical fires
              Then you probably wrote the A+ test I took in '98.

Comment

Boy, that takes me back...

Congratulations!

Comment

Another Congrats!

I remember when I was A+ certified back in 2000. Had a lot of Microsoft certifications back then too, but it's been years since I was certified in anything.
                  “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Thanks. Also passed practical exam today, so I'm now A+

Worked till 21:00 yesterday at customers, drove 100km through 100km/h wind blasts then woke up late and went to exam straight from bed, drinking RedBull in the car instead of morning coffee.

Now I need to prepare slides as I'll be teaching A+ course.

Comment

Congrats I wonder if I should write the exam as well.

Comment

A+ was the first certification I got back in.... 2001? It amazes me how many help desk guys don't know IRQ's and have never configured an ISA card with jumpers. This is probably for the best, but it takes away some knowledge in troubleshooting.

Seriously though, congrats! Done studying or do you have another cert you're eyeing now?
                        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

OK, now I started teaching the course, it's 40h course I have three students. They've been in IT for 5-14 years, so they would IMO mostly pass the test. The oldest one knows some stuff about printers and plotters that even I don't know.

While I consider myself a hardware expert (reading hardware forums since 1999) I need to prepare well to be interesting and know more than they do and give them things beyond the book. Also since it's a small group the pace is really fast and I try to do practical stuff.

For instance today we overclocked an AthlonXP after applying ArcticSilver5. Then we installed XP SP1 on Epox NF2 motherboard and found drivers manually. I explained them about history of Windows, OS/2, the NT and David Cutler and VAX team. They expressed a wish for a RIS demonstration.
                          Last edited by UtwigMU; 5 March 2012, 12:36.

Comment

Yes, but have you asked out the hot coworker with the big boobs yet?

Comment

She changed her mind, they hired someone else and this time the secretary and sales girl lead the interview since the boss was sick. They have slightly different criteria for hiring as he does (for him aesthetics is also very important).

Current secretary is very beautiful (though taller than me )

However if my company does well I'd like to hire secretary from ex job and she is very beautiful - they're both in my friends on fbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X