ACPI and hybernate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACPI and hybernate

umm.. just got few questions about this obscure topic ..
    In an ATX system, should the power supply shut-off when going into standby/sleep/hybernate ?? including the power supply fan ?? if not .. how one makes sure that his pc really works in those modes ?
    is Win2k any different than Win98 in this subject ?
    Does anyone knows about the hybernate file that is created on the HD ? the suspend to disk function ? is it mandatory for hybernate to work ?
    I used a utility that ships with my gigabyte mobo 6BXE that made me that file on the c: partition .. but i'm not sure if hybernate really worked for me or not .. the computer didn't have any problems entering or exiting heybernate or suspend ..except that the display was shifted a bit to the left of the screen ..
    Specs.
    GigaByte 6BXE mobo
    celeron 300A@450
    128 PC-100 CAS 3
    Matrox G200 8M SD AGP
    SB16 PNP (old :P)
    ATX Case, mobo, PS 250 W.
    Win98 original. (4.10.1998)
    ACPI was installed with 2 different methods :
    1st. changin a registry entry and add new hardware.
    2nd. a fresh install of Win98 with /p j switch.
    GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Ehh... The Hibernate ACPI feature doesn't use Suspend-To-Disk, does it?

I have it on my Asus P3B-F mobo, but it uses Suspend-To-Ram. That means it turns off power to everything but the memory modules. Shutdown is instantaneous, "booting" takes about 10 secs. Doesn't require a file anywhere!

Comment

No. By "booting" I mean what happens when you turn on the power using the power button on your pc.

From "Hibernate" in Suspend-To-Ram mode this means turning on the power to all drives, fans, expansion cards etc, and then continuing Windows from where it was when you entered Hibernate.

You see, by keeping power on the memory modules the entire state of the pc is preserved. That way no actual boot code has to be run.

Did that make it clear?

Oh, just one extra thing: I'm not claiming that Hibernate can't use Suspend-To-Disk (which involves writing the entire contents of the memory to a file and then turning off the power normally). ACPI supports five different power states.

S0 = On
      S1 = Suspend
      S2 = Power off CPU and Cache
      S3 = Suspend-To-Ram
      S4 = Suspend-To-Disk

It seems likely (to me) that Hibernate could use either S3 or S4, depending on the implementation (ie. motherboard).

For more reading, try http://www.excelcomputerinc.com/suspendtoram.html

[This message has been edited by Kruse (edited 10 March 2000).]

Comment

Working...
      X