T60p is in da house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T60p is in da house

I needed a backup notebook to my X61 Tablet (if it stops my business stops), which shows some signs of flakiness - bubbles in display and battery died.

So yesterday I snagged 14" 1400x1050 T60p for 150 Euros. Battery in it is also dead but even if i buy new battery, the price is very good.

Now I need to pimp it up a bit with more RAM SSD and perhaps 64-bit CPU.

I don't like widescreen and newer notebooks which appeal to me are currently too expensive (W520, T420s, X220 Tablet). I'd rather have a desktop with multiple large monitors.

Update:
    It came with Intel network cards, no bluetooth, 2x512MB, 100GB 7200 drive. I split the RAM between T60p and X61T as 2.5GB each and I'm now installing Windows 7.

I can get new original battery on Monday. If I can replace display on X61 T successfuly I'll upgrade it to 8GB and then transfer 4GB modules to T60p. SSD and 64-bit CPU are also planned.

Comment

Ssd

I updated my old Sony VAIO 17" laptops boot drive to an Intel SSD drive and WOW, what a difference that made. It came with two 80 GB HDDs' originally(C,D)

Comment

I was thinking of doing a similar upgrade to my laptop, but it uses the 1.8" standard and has this ZIF type connector (came with 60 GB HDD). So while I can find the SSDs, they are expensive... and probably not worth it on a 5 year old laptop... of course, if the laptop were to fail, I could always use the SSD in a USB enclosure, but then it is an expensive portable disk that does not even benefit from the fact that it is SSD...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

You can go to thinkpads forum and visit X4x section - that one used non standard drive - to get ideas. You might also get by with SD to IDE adapter.

Also if you're only using XP, 60-100GB SSDs now cost about as much as standard HDDs. I know what SSD will do as I tried borrowed Intel SSD on X61 and it blew me away.

X61 Tablet and T60p both have IPS monitors. Also have T42p with IPS but that one has a dead display. The only current IPS Thinkpad is X220 and X220 Tablet, there was also AFFS X200 tablet but they only have 1280x800 or 1366x768 resolutions.
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 15 January 2012, 08:31.

Comment

are you sure your T60p contains an IPS panel? I recall the 14 inch models of Thinkpads containing TN panels.

I've read there are new high-resolution IPS panel laptops on their way. Apple has put IPS on the radar again after using it for their Ipad and Iphone (though I don't know why they haven't used them in their macbooks yet)

Comment

Not sure if it's IPS but angles and panel are really nice.

The story: On Thursday battery in my X61 Tablet died. Also couple of months ago bubbles started forming in the screen (probably some layer is becoming unglued) and for consulting I need a working laptop with battery. On busy Friday I spotted T60p for 150 Euros. While the battery in it is also dead, I can get original new battery on Monday and with 2GB RAM transplant I have a working consulting laptop.

Now I can replace display on X61 Tablet and it also needs reinstall. X61 T and T60p have same HDD (100GB 7200 Hitachi), same amount of RAM at same speed and comparable CPU (C2D @ 1.6 and C2 @ 2.1) and about same software installed (one is 64-bit Win7, the other is 32-bit Win7). The freshly installed T60p boots up 2-3 times as fast.

Also have T42p, but that one also needs a new display (display dead, everything else in great shape).
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 15 January 2012, 14:32.

Comment

Pic left X61 Tablet, right T60p
                Attached Files

Comment

Is that a desk by IKEA?
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

No it's Slovenian by Glin KM (now owned by Gorenje). There is no Ikea in Slovenia, however, there are Ikeas 1h by car away in Italy and Austria.

Comment

Also note Powered by Matrox sticker on the server under the desk. I actually have Millennium PCI in the server.

Comment

Working...
                      X