Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

only get picture on hdtv during boot. Windows not detecting. Can I force it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only get picture on hdtv during boot. Windows not detecting. Can I force it?

Hi

On my Radeon HD 4850 (win 7 Pro 64 bit, catalysts 11.12) the flat panel on the primary DVI connection works perfectly fine.

I have just tried adding a 19" TV to the second output via DVI. I get a picture during boot and to the windows logo but then nothing.

Windows will simply not detect the tv. I have tried every combination of connection location/order screen resolution etc but no change. Windows just refuses to see it.

I have installed the latest CCC and that doesn't seem to have an option to force settings for the second output.

Is there anything I can do to force this?

Thanks

T.
    FT.

will it work as the primary ?

Comment

Originally posted by degrub View Post
      will it work as the primary ?
      No, it is the same in all situations and combinations. Even if it is the only monitor connected, I only get a picture during the boot/logo phase. I even tried making all the settings really low with the other monitor then swapping over/rebooting but no joy.

Thanks,

T.
      FT.

Comment

Is the card outputting DVI-D or analog ?

Comment

Is the card outputting DVI-D or analog ?
          Windows refuses to beleive there is anything attached. Through the DVI connector there is no signal.
          FT.

Comment

are you connecting to the tv via a HDMI connection ? Maybe some copy protection is at play. Otherwise it sounds like no sync signal match up.

Comment

are you connecting to the tv via a HDMI connection ? Maybe some copy protection is at play. Otherwise it sounds like no sync signal match up.
              Purely DVI. Sadly I don't have any other cables to test with atm.
              FT.

Comment

Well, if the bios is able to output correctly to it then it should just be a driver issue.

Comment

Well, if the bios is able to output correctly to it then it should just be a driver issue.
                  I would tend to agree. I guess I am looking for something to override the driver.

Cheers

Tony.
                  FT.

Comment

Have you tried booting into safe mode ? Does it work then with the generic MS driver ?

Comment

i just installed the latest CCC and drivers on my 5700. There is an section under common display tasks to detect displays. The older drivers did have a force detect switch.

Does the device manager show two display devices - one for each DIVx port on the card - should be there without a display.

Is this a CRT TV or a lcd panel or a LCD TV ?

i found this:

I have been trawling the Internet for ages looking for the solution as I had the same thing. Boot up in safe mode and all works fine through DVI. Boot up normally and you see as far as loading Windows 7, or whatever OS you are using, then as soon as it gets into windows you lose the signal. Also everything works fine if I use a DVI>VGA adapter, but the image is significantly worse than if I use DVI digital. Anyway, to cut a long story short the problem is that through some mechanism (in my case I had a GeForce FX card failure that caused this) the EDID data on the EEPROM chip in your monitor has become corrupted. You will need the full registered version of a tool called PowerStrip made by EnTech Taiwan to attempt to correct this. The trial version doesn't have the feature required to attempt this.

When it's installed and registered, shutdown your PC. Make sure you have connected the faulty monitor only using the DVI digital cable to the graphics card. Disconnect other monitors if you are using more than one. Boot up into safe mode (keep pressing F8 while booting up to get the option to boot into safe mode).

Start up PowerStrip and right click on the System tray icon. Go to Options > Monitor Information. It will probably just say the manufacturer is Microsoft and the Model ID is "Default Monitor" or something instead of your actual monitor details. At the bottom where it says Options, select the option to Update EDID. Follow the instructions to detect an EEPROM device, and hopefully it will detect you have corrupt headers and it will ask if you want to correct them. Select yes and follow the prompts. At the end it will ask you to restart. Hopefully you should be all good after the restart.

I used version 3.83 of PowerStrip for this and originally received an error saying "An EDID EEPROM was not found" when scanning for the EEPROM, but this is because this version didn't have support for updating the EDID on a Geforce 275. I tried the same procedure on a GeForce 6600 GT on my old PC and it worked perfectly.

If this doesn't sort out your problem you can try and locate a full EDID export for your monitor and use the same procedure to upload it, but there are some additional steps you need to know doing it this way, so read the full article that helped me resolve this at http://blog.komeil.com/2008/06/fixin...no-signal.html.

Comment

I went the easy route. DVI -> VGA. Works a charm and more than good enough for his purposes

Thanks,

T.
                        FT.

Comment

Working...
                        X