Why Hollywood sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Hollywood sucks

From Big Hollywood, a conservative site but the points are valid for everyone IMO. Trimmed where I thought it got wordy, so follow the link to see it all.

Big Hollywood....

Top 10 Ways Hollywood Can Win Its Audience Back

by John Nolte

Hollywood is like a child, a spoiled child you can’t help loving but desperately want to see do and be better. Hollywood can be cruel and petulant, small and bigoted, hateful and depraved. But every once in a while you see what it COULD be — the talent, the charm, and the ability to inspire and create joy. So we keep coming back to them in the hope that if and when Hollywood ever grows up, they will be what they could be — what they once were, so many years ago.

Today, our spoiled child is in trouble and with only the best of intentions I’m going to see if I can’t take the sting out of the boo-boo with the best advice I can offer.

1. Hollywood Needs Movie Stars, Not Brands

You can trace most of Hollywood’s problems back to the death of the movie star. At first, the industry was thrilled with this development. No movie star meant no big payday, no ego, and none of the baggage too many stahs carry with them. The industry also found that, at least for a while, they could get away with this. Audiences were still packing theatres to see pre-packaged brands developed from high concepts, comic books, novels, and television shows. Sequels, remakes, and prequels were still sure-fire. Who needs to pay Tom Cruise $30 million to run around with CGI’d dinosaurs when just as many people will pay to see Jeff Goldblum do the same?

This was all well and good until the “brands” ran out. Now Hollywood is down to “The Green Lantern” and board games like “Battleship.”

Movie stars, on the other hand, are the most reliable brands out there. People come to see them and if you have enough of them and if you keep developing them, the inventory is limitless. From the 1920s straight through to right around 1990, if you built it with movie stars, audiences would come. Hollywood didn’t need to rely on “brands” because they built pictures around their stars.

Today we’re down to Sandra Bullock, Will Smith, and Denzel Washington — the only three people I know who can still draw a crowd based solely on their name.
    >
    >
    Look at your history, both recent and long past. Hollywood may have changed over the last few decades, but the people — the customers — have not. The human animal simply don’t evolve that quickly. Furthermore, stars shouldn’t represent who we are; we don’t want to see ourselves on the screen. Stars should represent who we want to be. Men want to be John Wayne and Robert Mitchum. Women want to Ava Gardner and Barbara Stanwyck.

Masculine men.

Womanly women.

Need I mention Sandra and Denzel again?
    >
    >
    2. Stars Must Stop Insulting the Customers

Class. That’s what the customers are looking for in their stars, class. George Clooney could be a star and was on his way, but then he started insulting the 60-plus percent of customers who dared disagree with his obnoxious politics. Julia Roberts was the biggest star in the world until she did the same. Harrison Ford blew his image in too many ways to count, Russell Crowe can’t stop being a jerk, and Mel Gibson couldn’t control his ugly demons. Tom Hanks was universally beloved as a well-known Democrat by all of us. Not so much, though, after he called WWII a war of terror and racism.

Politically and morally, most of your customers are right-of-center. But the good news is that we don’t care how our stars vote or even if they advocate for this cause or that politician. But when you insult us and trash who we are, our faith and country — that’s crossing a line that’s awfully difficult to return from. Goodwill doesn’t just matter when it comes to the face of your industry; it is everything.

Let me ask you Hollywood leftists this: would you buy Charmin if Mr. Whipple called you an anti-American, crybaby, Marxist hippie loser? Of course not. And yet, your spokespeople do this to over 60% of your customers at least three times a week.

3. Liberal Films Are Fine, Partisan Films Must Stop

What were you thinking making films opposing a War on Terror we were still fighting and still could’ve lost?

Hollywood didn’t even do that during Vietnam.
    >
    >
    4. Keep Politics Out of Children’s Movies

You loaded up “The Muppets,” “Cars 2,” and “Happy Feet 2? with political sucker punching and left a ton of money on the table as soon as word got out.

These are our children. Hands off.

5. Stop Marketing Exclusively to Teens

“The Help” made nearly $170M because it was an outstanding film, and it made a ton of profit because the draw was the story not some overpriced star surrounded by $150 million in special effects. “The King’s Speech” made $140 million for the exact same reasons.

When you’re making movies for adults, stop with the indie, nihilistic junk no one wants to see. We don’t want to feel bad. We want to be inspired, we want to be told to aspire, we want to see what life should be like instead of what it is.
    >
    Adults do want to go to the movies. We just want to see grownup movies.

6. Go Back To Storytelling Basics, Crack the Code of the Classics

By “classics,” I don’t just mean the four-star Oscar winners, but also films that — critical acclaim or not — have stood the test of time. There’s a reason people still watch “Casablanca” and, yes, “Road House.” There’s a reason we all have “The Wizard of Oz” and “Rambo” in our home video collections.

What makes them so popular? What makes them timeless? What makes them beloved by each generation? I’ll give you the first two answers:

1. Stars.

2. Universal themes.

7. Learn From the NFL

That National Football League does everything you used to do so well. The NFL is Hollywood just a few decades ago.

The NFL creates stars, demands and shows class, isn’t afraid of patriotism, and puts on hundreds of spectacular shows over the course of a season. The result is that their night to shine (the Super Bowl) buries Hollywood’s night to shine (the Oscars) in the ratings.

This is not an accident.

Even those of us who don’t care for the game of football (that would be me) respect the NFL greatly and feel an enormous amount of goodwill towards it.

Not everyone loves football, but we all like the NFL.

Everyone loves movies, but most everyone has contempt for Hollywood.

8. Learn How to Market Fresh Ideas

“Hugo” and “The Adventures of Tintin” going down in box office flames is inexcusable. Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg are two of the most important and respected directors in the history of the motion picture, and yet I have to read that both of these Christmas entries bombed because “nobody knew how to market them.”

Even more troubling is the collective shrug over this reality. I haven’t heard one person in the sycophantic entertainment media or the industry itself show a shred of concern over the fact that Hollywood was unable to market two films by two of our greatest directors because they weren’t handed pre-sold brands.

9. Stop Making Excuses for a Failing Home Video Market

Both the collapse of the home video market and the 25% decrease in what’s known as “the multiple” proves that you can only fool fewer and fewer people all of the time.

Again, the sycophantic entertainment media is doing you no favors in perpetuating the myth that piracy, Netflix, and Redbox are to blame. No one’s saying those things don’t contribute to the problem, but your main problem is that too many movies today just aren’t very good.

The multiple is down for the same reason home video sales are down: no one wants to see a bad movie more than once.

10. The Lousy Theatre Experience

Talkers, cell phones, ticket and concession prices.

You’ve got to fix this.

Right now, unless you’re the one doing the obnoxious talking, going to the theatre is a stressful and miserable experience.

Moreover, you’re charging us too much for tickets, and the theatres are absolutely gouging us for food and drink..

Presentation and follow-through is everything, and yet you let these incompetent theatre owners ruin the presentation part of a product you spent years and millions to develop and deliver.

—–

The other thing you can do, Hollywood, is simply continue to ignore American audiences. We’re leaving you a little by little every year now, and this year you hit a 16-year attendance low. So maybe the answer is to just keep making your money overseas and work a little harder to sell your souls to the communist Chinese.

But that’s going to leave a huge market open here in the states, and someday, someone’s going to fill that market with the movies we want to see. There’s already a cottage industry out there learning their trade and cracking that code.

It doesn’t have to come to that, though. And you know as well as I do that, with rare exceptions, if a film flops in America, it flops overseas.

We love you, Hollywood — not who you are now, but who you once were and who you could still be. But if 2011 has taught you anything, it’s that we’re not going to wait forever.

2012 may well be a better year (I hope it is), but that won’t change the fact that the trend is not your friend and that you could be doing a whole lot better.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

[rant]
    If I hear one more person say "The Muppets" was politically or leftist loaded I'm going to deck them. Seriously. Did any of these idiots watch the movie? I mean come on, half of Tex Richman's lines where over-the-top, cheesy, maniacal laughter, how could anyone take that as a serious dig on capitalism? And the entire moral plot of the movie was the value of family and friends, a decidedly universal bipartisan ideal.

And speaking of politically loaded, this list is rather right-wing loaded.
    [/rant]

Okay, just had to get that off my chest.

I agree with a lot of that list though. Go back to story telling instead of fx stunt. I'm getting sick of slow motion fight scenes, cartoon combatants in live action fight scenes, and the shaky cam bs has got to go. Sequels are okay, but when the only interesting movies out are remakes, rehash, reboots and sequels...it just gets old. I used to watch 2-3 movies in the theaters a month, now I see 2-3 movies in the theater a year.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

yeah, and in 6) they got it reversed. Universal themes portrayed by stars.

Comment

What the hell does tinsel town matter? It's not the world. There are much more serious places and things that really matter.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I have to disagree with #1, which is where I stopped reading. There are many stars that to me, mean a great movie and new stars that I came to appreciate.
          There are really too many to mention, seriously.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I agree with TransformX - but did not stop reading.

About 4:
            American movies and TV series very often have a bit of morality lessons in them, sometimes even patronizing or overly chauvinistic, and while it can be annoying sometimes it does not make the movie bad. Just as an example: in any Star Trek series, the humans are always to most kind, the only race to help others without wanting anything in return, the only ones who always support/help each other and others...

IMO, they just should make good movies, I don't care if it has big stars in it or not: there are many good unknown actors (and furthermore if a plot/movie is truly good, even bad acting will not ruin it). Also, lower the focus of SFX (as Jammrock said), and don't do 3D if they can't do it properly.
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              and don't do 3D if they can't do it properly.
              To my personal knowledge, this is at least the 3rd attempt at Hollywood 3D. The first one, in the 1930s, used anaglyph techniques, the second one in the 1950s used cross polarisation and this third one, current, uses sequential techniques, as I believe without having gone into it. The first two failed miserably after a couple of years a) because of cost and b) because an Injun shooting a flaming arrow into the audience didn't go down too well and the producers couldn't resist this kind of gimmick. As I never go to the cinema now, I have never seen this brand of 3D, so cannot judge but I did see that 2011 was an economically catastrophic year for many major film studios with severely loss-making blockbusters. This means that Hollywood is not making films that the public wish to see or part their money for. I don't believe it is the general economic climate that could be responsible because people like escapism in bad times. Could it be that $100M is too much to spend in making a film? The extra cost of 3D is possibly a very negative factor and people saw it all in Avatar. The curiosity factor is now dead and I suggest 3D is again on its deathbed. The real trouble is that the studios are not run as real businesses should be, conforming to what the public want and producing at minimal cost for maximum profits. They would rather pay through the nose because they think that the obscenely overpaid bimbo who cannot even act will draw in the crowds because her boobs look good in 3D and she can drawl the f-word. They have totally prostituted the cinematographic art.

I have a large collection of DVDs in many genres, filmed from about 1920s on. As a guess, I would say the average production date is in the late '50s or early '60s. There are very few from this century because there is precious little art left in Hollywood. The poesy of the dialogues has been replaced by gross obscenities. The beauty of movement has been replaced by crude bedroom scenes or even cruder cruelty. In the genre of comedy, look at the 1950s Ealing Studio films (yes, I know, not Hollywood) with superb acting by the likes of Alec Guinness, of which Kind Hearts and Coronets bears the crown. In this genre, take The Ladykillers. The 1955 version with a cast of a dozen real actors was superb and subtle. The 2004 version that Hollywood had the nerve to remake was trash and brash with just Tom Hanks to carry it, very unsuccessfully from the POV of art, even if it was profitable and won a gong at Cannes (God knows why? Bribery?).

Comment

On 3D, I find it tiring and for one reason or another the story just does not get any more interesting...
                Originally posted by BE
                The 2004 version that Hollywood had the nerve to remake was trash and brash with just Tom Hanks to carry it, very unsuccessfully from the POV of art
                And that goes for a lot of movies. I am not looking forward to the Hollywood implementation of the Millenium trilogy for instance.
                Last edited by Umfriend; 3 January 2012, 03:24.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

As it appears, Hollywood is said to have done a very good job remaking that movie/adapting the book. We'll see.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The Swedish films of the trilogy were excellent and remarkably close to the books. I don't see why they should even try to compete with them after only a couple of years, waste of money!

Comment

Actually, I found that the movies were to 'quick'. They just fell short of the breadth of the books.

They're of course not competing with the Swedish movies as many in the Anglo-speaking world do not accept subtitles: they're opening new markets...

Comment

I have the Swedish DVDs of the Millennium trilogy: they are in English (dubbed, of course, but very well).

Comment

Working...
                        X