X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China repurposes the carrier Kiev

Oh, the indignity....

Danger Room....

Bed, Breakfast And Bombing Runs: China Turns Soviet Aircraft Carrier Into Hotel

This is the Kiev, currently anchored in the Chinese port of Tianjin. Once she was the flagship of the mighty Soviet navy’s Pacific fleet. Now she’s available for business retreats, intimate getaways or simple relaxation.

That’s because the Chinese have bought the aircraft carrier and transformed her into a floating luxury hotel.

The Kiev will stay permanently docked. Much as a Soviet-era sailor might resent the indignity, Kiev won’t go back out to sea. She’ll entertain guests and clients at anchor, a bizarre museum to a different country’s naval power.

And also an allusion to Chinese naval ambitions. After all, Kiev isn’t the only ship that the Chinese bought from former Soviet states. Its first aircraft carrier, rechristened Shi Lang the floating equivalent of a new used car, purchased from Ukraine. It’s kind of a starter ship.

Similarly, while China is newly aggro in the western Pacific, it’s no naval heavyweight. Its submarines are way too loud to threaten the U.S. Navy. On the other hand, its investment in tons and tons of missiles certainly do.

But that won’t be an issue for the Kiev luxury hotel. Guests will relax with Western-style cuisine in ornate luxury suites, dreaming of Chinese seapower.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

subterfuge?
    sounds too easy to believe they are going to re-purpose it as a luxury liner,
    i believe it would be much easier to get or built a luxury liner if they wanted one.
    Last edited by Belwarrior; 2 January 2012, 21:10. Reason: clarification
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Funny, first thing I thought was also "hiding in plain sight".

But I can imagine that for some people staying on a real aircraft carrier has more appeal than a regular luxury liner.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yeah, for fighter pilots that is ;-)
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
        X