Real Quick ? if anyone is online.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Quick ? if anyone is online.....

Hi. I'm formatting my hd now (or at least will be hopefully) so I can move it to my new system and was wondering what the command is to do a low speed format. I remember reading somewhere that these types of formats help in the long run. I can't remember the command or the place I found that at though. If there is a difference, please let me know. I want to start this tonight....

Thanks,
    Dimitri
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

If you mean low level format, that can be found in mobo's BIOS, but it sounds like something you can destroy your HDD with

_
    B

Comment

NEVER low-level format a newer (most, if not all, EIDE and DMA based drives) IDE drive, unless you have a low-level format tool written by the manufacture of the hard drive for that specific model!!! Look in almost any new IDE hard drive manual and it will specifically say, DO NOT LOW LEVEL FORMAT THIS HARD DRIVE! Go online, read the manual, look for utilities, but NEVER low-level format unless the documentation for your drive says it is safe.

SCSI drives are different and most can be low-level formatted. Once again, read the instructions first. I know it is hard for many of us to do this, but it can save you a lot of time and cash.

Jammrock

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I think what your looking for is soemthing like this.

format C: /u

does an unconditional format. Meaning that it actually overwrites all of the bits of data on the drive and resets them all to 0.
        Actually "format C:" does an unconditional format by default.

Instead of a "format C: /q" which does a quick format which merely erases the FAT.
        If you want to do a serious powerful format try and find a copy of DriveWizard or something. You can do all sorts of fun different formats then. All of which are safe to do on IDE drives.

HedsSpaz
        Primary System:
        MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
        120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
        Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
        Seccondary System:
        Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
        3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
        Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
        Tertiary system
        Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
        Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

You can safely low level format SCSI drives but it gets iffy on IDE unless the HD mfr. has a utility for it. It is usually a last resort if a regular format just won't do. Just do a format off of a startup disk.

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
          X