Next-Gen commercial Shuttle 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next-Gen commercial Shuttle 2.0

Info and rumors are flying left & right in the space community, but it looks like an effort is being mounted by private investors to fund and build a next-generation space shuttle with "similar capabilities" to the retired STS but fully modern.

No NASA involvement or US Govt. funding.

The initial effort was looking to purchase the shuttle(s) Atlantis and/or Endeavour for the effort, but due to their sale and decommissioning that wasn't going to happen.

To have similar capabilities it would have to carry a crew, have an EVA airlock, loft ~20 metric tons in a payload bay and have a robotic arm. One would think this means a spaceplane, but that's not necessarily the case. Obviously not too many details have been released, but a formal program announcement is expected in Q2 of 2012.

The known people involved are impressive and includes Dr. Mary Lynne Dittmar of Dittmar Associates (Houston TX) and The American Astronautical Society. In a previous life she was Chief Scientist and Senior Program Manager for Boeing's Commercial Space Utilization Program, and Manager of the Flight Operations Group of the International Space Station. She's also a Fellow of the United States National Research Society and a member of the Economics Technical Committee of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).

Whatever this is it'll be interesting.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It might have been fun to turn one of the orbiters over to Musk's organization to see what they could do with it. They might have turned it into something that could take off and land like an airplane, travel to the moon, land a two-man crew and return, but not be able to carry a single gram of cargo.

Comment

Neh - not edgy enough for them. Besides, SpaceX has a lunar mission booked with Astrobotic's Google Lunar X-Prize lander/rover. Astrobotic is a sinoff of Carnegie-Mellon University.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm still amazed that Nasa didn't continually upgrade those shuttles with new technology since they did such extensive overhauls of them after each flight.

Some of the stuff you heard about the shuttles was downright scary, like nasa buying replacement parts on ebay...
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah - people forget its systems were based on 1960's and 1970's parts that haven't been production for decades. As a result NASA was scrounging EBay, HAM swap meets & surplus dealers worldwide to keep them flying.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
          X