Car Oil change frequency discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Oil change frequency discussion

The article is OK, but the comments below are horrific!!!

Lots of people seem to think changing oil at 3000 Miles is a good thing, even a necessary thing.
    Some are even talking about changing after 1000 Miles !!!

When I chatted to the garage that looked after our fleet of Clio Diesels a few years back, he said that since we drive a lot, and especially motorway mostly, we should change oil and filters between 10000 - 15000Km, or every other year if we hadn't done the 15000Km.

I change the oil on my cars based on that, what do you all do ? and why ?
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

On my car (petrol, 2003 VW Polo - and on my previous car, petrol 2001, VW Polo ), first oil change was recommended after 1000 km (new car). After that, every 15000 km or every year (whichever comes first). VW also offers long life service, in which case oil chances are even less frequent. So that is what I go with.
    I only once had the oil light go on, and that was 2 weeks before a scheduled service.

My father has a Volvo 850 (petrol), and it has shorter service intervals (but the car is nearly 17 years old). I think his service interval is every 5000 km, but I don't know if they change the oil every time.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I would follow the guidelines from the manufacturer.
      So basically read the manual and do what it tells you.
      Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
      ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

Use the manufacturer's recommendations as a guide, and use some common sense.
        Dealers will somteimes recommend shorter intervals in order to increase revenue, but as long as you change per the manufacturer's guidelines, they will have no reason to deny you warranty.
        Most folks will change vehicles or retire them before the engine gives out.
        I have 4 vehicles, all of which have over 250,000 kms on them and my typical oil change interval is about 15,000 kms. Never had an engine issue, all routine maintenance.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

My '89 Passat 1.8i (last model without a Cat) has 270000Km and I change every 10-15000Km, or every year (sometimes two since one of the cars tends to sit around doing nothing for months), whichever comes first, usually every year since I don't drive that much around nowadays.
          The Clio 1.9D is also done every 15000Km or every year, and contrary to many Diesels I see on the road, it has never given any smoke or soot from the exhaust. Its got 254000Km and it will do another 250000Km no problems.

The Passat uses 15W40, the Clio as well I think, and the Ford Mondeo V6 uses 5W40, which is what they put in every car now here when they do an oil change. If you want anything else, you have to either supply the oil, or specifically state you want something else.
          The recommended oil for the Passat is 5W50, its a bit too liquid though, which is why I go 15W40.

I also always use fully synthetic oils, no semi-synth, its not worth it. It may be a little cheaper, but its the engine we are talking about, and its the heart of the car. You don't cheap out on it
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

The stupid thing is that even the website they use to "educate" the public lists too short intervals. For a 2003 VW Golf, they say every 5000 miles, which roughly translates to 7500 km. The maintenance things are similar as in my car, and in Belgium they say every 15000 km (of even more if you have long life oil).
            So, good initiative, but bad execution.

On a side note: my sister-in-law's brother was too cheap to have his car serviced but also did not service it himself. At one point, he got severe engine problems, at it turns out he was driving with too little oil for too long: the engine needed to be replaced! He got a second hand car instead, as it was cheaper... (he claims there is no low-oil-indication light on the Mercedes A class... which I find hard to believe; even my Polo has it)
            pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              ...(he claims there is no low-oil-indication light on the Mercedes A class... which I find hard to believe; even my Polo has it)
              Even my '89 Passat has a low oil warning light. Maybe the bulb was out, you're supposed to check everytime you turn the ignition key to check the lights, thats one of the reasons they all come on. The oil llight flashes a few times and then goes off.

Going to be spending the next few months putting the passat back in shape, got quite a list of stuff to do. Its a joy to work on, there being plenty of space around the engine bay. And very little in the way of electronics.

- Front Shocks.
              - Four Disks + Pads.
              - Alternator Belt
              - Rocker Box Gasket
              - Gearbox Oil change.
              - Front left window motor assembly
              - Radiator (two small leaks).
              - Spark Plugs
              - Engine mounts/suspension.

Quite a bit to do, but then it will be good for another ~200000Km (except the Cam belt in ~30000Km)

The Clios also got its front shocks that need to be refurbed, the rubber mounts have worn up top.

Any work to be done on the Mondeo V6, even spark plugs, is going to a garage. To change the plugs, you have to remove the upper intake manifold at the very least.
              I did change the two lower swingarms on it, the rubber mounts are only good for 100000Km, and it took about 8 hours each side to get them both done due to the hideous clearances and bolts that had to be heated with a blowtorch to get them off.

I won't trust a garage with our cars again, they always seem to F**k something else up, or forget something. Its what pushed me to do the things myself, and at least do them properly the first time.

Comment

Personal: 2006 Grand Caravan SE

3.3 V6 flex-fuel
                Loaded to the gills
                160,000 miles
                Condition: excellent

Oil: Mobile 1
                Oil/filter change: 5,000 miles

Probably could go to 10,000+ based on the last oil analysis, but why push it? It's running great, starts instantly, still gets 22-24/28-30 and just requires worn parts & fluids.

It may last longer than I do
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 December 2011, 15:18.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

10.000 km for my Civic Hybrid.
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

The Polo (1.4 16V petrol from 2000) needs a change every 15.000km. It however consumes about a liter of oil per 2000-3000km. I'll take it in when I hit 150.000.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                      10.000 km for my Civic Hybrid.
                      i don't even know what ours is.
                      The computer tells us when to change it. I've never noted the mileage.
                      It calculates it by miles and accumulated load, temp, rpm, etc.
                      same deal with the trans. too
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I've only needed to add oil once to my Polo (and I only have the oil changes every year, which at that time was about 12000-18000 km)...
                        pixar

Comment

I'm still using Dino Oil - valvoline and change mine every 3500 miles.

I just finished doing what Evildead666 is planning....

In what little spare time I had this summer I did a bit of work on my 2002 4-Runner..

New tires 285/75/16 Bridgestone Revo 2's.

Then a new suspension;
                          New Toytec, Bilstein 5100 adjustable coil overs with Eibach coils for the front.

New Bilstein 5125 Shocks for the rear. I kept my Downey 3.5" lift coils.

The next project was to install a set of 2006 Tundra front calipers and rotors to add more stopping power. These are the larger 231mm calipers.

I did this along with a friend's 2001 4-Runner.

A little Bling...LOL!!

Then we got ambitious and put a TRD Super Charger in my friends 4-Runner:

I also put a Borla XR-1 muffler and an Injen intake on mine:

I finished with new wheels which actually match the color of my 4-Runner:

Last edited by ALBPM; 17 December 2011, 23:32.
                          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Nice!! Especially the blower - that'll be fun
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Is the blower permanently on or can it be disengaged from the cabin?

4-runner looks nice, must be extremely reliable too, it is a Toyota after all

Comment

Working...
                              X