Quick ? @ partitioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick ? @ partitioning

Sorry if this has been covered, but I haven't noticed it. Is it possible to partition your hd without formatting it?
    I.E.: (in college too long... ) I have a 20 gig and and I want to partition it into 4 5 gigs. I have a lot of important $hit on it and I can't lose the info. My other drive is only 6 gigs.....

Also, while I'm setting up my new system (chip finally came in!!! ), I was thinking of partitioning my 6 gig into two 3's. I would keep just windows on one and install office and all that on the other partition. Would this work and would it work fast?

Thanks for your help.

Dimitri

P.S.: Sorry if this has been covered before.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Yes, you can. But you have to use software to allow you to do so, such as Partition Magic by PQ. There is always a risk involved with using such software, I haven't had any problems, but have heard of some people having probs. I suggest making a backup of any important information on your hard drive before using any of this software.

Rags

Comment

Thanks Rags. Thats the problem though. I have no place to back it up too. If I did, I wouldn't care about formatting it....

Would you suggest partitioning the 6 gig into 2 drives and keeping windows entirely seperate from MS Office and MSVC++ and all that crap? Would there be any noticeable 0speed difference?

Thanks
      Dimitri
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Never partition a drive just for the sake of partitioning. It doesn't run any faster - in fact it runs slower since it has to spend more time seeking.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I agree with Ash...err...I mean Gurm.

Rags

Comment

Ok, thanks. I won't partition it. Even though it takes a while to run disk fixers and stuff with a lot of space... Thanks for the info.

Dimitri
            --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Muad'Dib, I use partitions to make backups of my op system using PowerQuest Drive Image, cause you can't copy an image to the same partition.

Never be afraid to try anything with your op system again. Within 15 minutes or so, your back where you started. You can even slpit in segments at up to 50% compression for copying to CD if you are so inclined.
              MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
              Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
              512MB regular Crucial PC2100
              Matrox P
              X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
              LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
              X