Marvel G400 & Craetive pc-dvd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G400 & Craetive pc-dvd

Does anyone have experience with G400 and Creative PC-DVD Dxr2.

My system is Athlon 500, Asus K7M mb, 128mb ram, Marvel G400.

I have now installed Creative PC-DVD Dxr2 5X.
    Lousy result. I am getting frozen when I try to play anything through pc dvd. Lock is immediate and always.

Any suggestions ??

TIA

Des

[This message has been edited by dasher (edited 04 March 2000).]
    Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Mother Board
    Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
    1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
    RT X10
    Millenium G550
    Main HDD Seagate 40gb
    2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
    Win XP SP2
    Adobe Premiere 6.5
    DVDWS 2
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
    Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Get rid of the DXr2 card.
    The Marvel does fine on it's own, has better image quality, and doesn't need that nasty pass-through cable. Plus, you free up a PCI slot and IRQ...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks

Beat you to it. battled for several hours, got fed up with a crappy display generally, took the nasty out, took it back, store now hates me but I love my computer again.

Des
      Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
      1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
      RT X10
      Millenium G550
      Main HDD Seagate 40gb
      2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
      Win XP SP2
      Adobe Premiere 6.5
      DVDWS 2
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
      DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
      Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Comment

For what it's worth now, there are some special drivers Win98SE. Anyhow, you have to remove the disc-detector and under no circumstances should you use the Creative DVD drive. It sucks and locks up your system if busmaster is enabled. Anyway, with a good Pioneer DVD drive (or what you can get where you are), the Encore is okay.

Too bad about the connector is a PS/2 and not a SVHS, so you are kinda limited on cabling.

I gave up on that system long ago. It never really worked okay on anything but Windows 95.

If you got more questions, technical in nature or not, just ask. I lived with this piece of crap for almost a year until a certain TNT2U with a TV-out and a 10X DVD pioneer more than replaced it.

------------------
        Cya,
        J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
        AMD Athlon 600mhz, OEM FIC SD11, 192MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
        Running Windows 98SE & Linux Mandrake 7
        Cya,
        J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
        AMD Athlon 600mhz, OEM FIC SD11, 192MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
        Running Windows 98SE & Linux Mandrake 7

Comment

Also, if you stuck the Creative board in the PCI slot next to your AGP slot, was probably sharing IRQ resources with the G400. If this is true, it might have been the source of your problems.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 06 March 2000).]

Comment

Thanks J

I had the card in the 2nd pci slot. Woke to the first slot problem early in the piece.

I was trying to find an easy way to get mpeg clips to my vcr. I thought the dxr2 via the cable would do the job . No.

The clips 352 x 240 and unless convert to avi and size to pc-vcr I can't get them across. In converting and resizing I am losing quality. I have tried to set up the matrox to play and record mpeg clips without success. Is it possible

TIA

Des
            Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
            1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
            RT X10
            Millenium G550
            Main HDD Seagate 40gb
            2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
            Win XP SP2
            Adobe Premiere 6.5
            DVDWS 2
            Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
            DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
            Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Comment

I have the Creative 5X DVD and a Marvel G400 and it works fine. Just update everything. Bus mastering is fine.

I only get an extremely rare 0028 fatal exception every 20 to 40 days. I usually ghost my sytem sometime within there and never see it. This seems to be due to my motherboard and sound card.

AMD Athlon 600
              Asus K7M with release bios 1008
              128 (soon to be 384)MB ram
              Matrox Marvel G400 PD 5.52
              Promise Ultra 66 Add-On Card
              Creative Sound Blaster Live (LW 3)

Motherboard Controller
              Primary Channel
              8GB Ultra33 HD, LS-120 2X
              Secondary Channel
              Creative 5X DVD, Matshite 4/8X CD-R

Promise COntroller
              Primary Channel
              20GB Ultra66 HD
              Secondary Controller
              250MB Internal ZIP, 4gb Ultra33 HD (2GB swap file)

Comment

Dasher,

I have the same video card and DVD-rom as yours..... I have no problems with it and get rid of that decoder card. Haven't had a problem with it and movies are great on this monitor and my Sony 21" tv.

If Compton replies to this, ask him.

Mistah Magik

Pentium III 450@450 til I get an alpha cooler, ASUS P2B-F Mobo, 256 megs of PC100 SDRAM, Matrox G400 Max PD 5.52, Creative 6x24x DVD-ROM, Creative 6x4x24x CD-RW, Maxtor 27.2 gig hard drive, Western Digital 6.4 gig hard drive, USB Zip100 Disk Drive, USB Intel Webcam, Inlight Mid-Tower Case, Diamond 56K modem, Sound Blaster Live: X-Gamer with 4 Point Surround Sound, Cheapass 10/100 Ethernet Card, 3 1/2" disk drive, MS Mouse and Keyboard, fans, and bunch of other stuff.
                Pentium III 450@557, Asus P2B-F Mobo, 128 megs of non-branded PC100 SDRAM, Creative 6x/24x DVD-ROM, Creative 6x/4x/24x CD-RW, Maxtor 27.2 Gig HD, Western Digital 6.4 Gig HD, Diamond Pro PCI modem, Creative SoundBlaster Live X-Gamer Sound Card, 3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card, Inlight Mid-Tower Case with loads of fans, Win2K SP1, DX7a, and a 17" ViewSonic Monitor.

Comment

Working...
                X