Strange Brew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Brew

Get the latest local Detroit and Michigan breaking news and analysis , sports and scores, photos, video and more from The Detroit News.

Strange brew: Sanders chocolate beer

Stout by confectioner, Detroit Brewing Co. expected to be sellout

Detroit's beloved 136-year-old candymaker is branching into adult treats: chocolate beer and wine.

Sanders is planning a massive holiday rollout later this month for its 1-year-old Chocolate Stout and is in talks with an unidentified California vineyard to create a dessert wine based on its iconic chocolate flavors.

Both adult beverages will help the brand gain national exposure, said Brian Jefferson, chairman of Clinton Township-based MCM Holding Co., the group that owns Sanders and another local confectioner, Morley Brands LLC.

The candymaker is tapping into a growing beverage trend.
    "Craft beers are becoming more popular as consumers look for local, authentic, handcrafted foods and beverages with passionate food artisans and entrepreneurs behind them," said Louise Kramer, a spokeswoman for the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade. Furthermore, "chocolate is hugely popular with consumers of specialty foods."

Sanders Chocolate Stout, developed last year with the Detroit Brewing Co., combines Sanders chocolate with the brewer's Pub Classic Smooth Cream Stout for a chocolate finish, Jefferson said.
    "We were skeptical at first," he said of the brewer's proposal to collaborate. "We weren't going to make a decision until we tasted it. We weren't selling our brand just to sell our brand and put a few pennies in our pocket. It had to be really good."

Retailers sold out quickly of the first production run of 6,000 cases last year. Sanders is manufacturing at least six times as many cases this year, to be carried by merchants including Meijer, Hiller's Markets, Whole Foods, Hollywood Markets, Nino Salvaggio and Holiday Market.
    >
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Tia Maria and Guinness = Chocolate stout.

You need about 2-3 shots of Tia Maria to a pint of Guinness, but you may add more to taste.

Tia Maria is a coffee liqueur. For some reason it makes Guinness Chocolaty.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

YUK!!!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Actually, we have it in Belgium for a long time: Huyghe is a brewery that makes Floris Chocolat, a chocolate beer.
        An incomplete list of Belgian beers is here:

or

(in the last 4 years, 500 new Belgian beers emerged )

From fruit beers, I personally like Cantillon Kriek (cherry) and Chapeau Banana - a banana beer that is surprisingly good.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Belgium and beer go together very very well

Some of the best beers are from Belgium, but i'm a Heineken man myself.
          Do like a bit of Delirium Tremens and Guillotine when I can get them, as well as Murphy's and Boddingtons when I get to pop to the UK.

Theres a place just south of Manchester city centre, called World of Beers, and if they don't have it, they will try and get it for you.
          They also collect the old bottles, and give you money back on those to get more beer !!!!

I just like beer
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
          X