11/11/11 a special day in Oklahoma City Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/11/11 a special day in Oklahoma City Weather

Get the day’s top news, weather and sports from Oklahoma City and around the state. With the best in Oklahoma news, KOCO 5 News has you covered.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The 100th anniversary of an oddity in temperature records will be on 11-11-11.

Friday will be the 100th anniversary of the day Oklahoma City set the record for the highest temperature ever recorded on Nov. 11 and the lowest temperature ever recorded on Nov. 11 -- and the records were set during the same day -- Nov. 11, 1911.

Associate Oklahoma State Climatologist Gary McManus says the temperature reached 83 degrees in Oklahoma City during that afternoon before a frigid cold front moved across the state. By the end of the day the temperature in the city was a record-setting low of 17 degrees.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Ah, life on the great plains. That's a pretty amazing temp differential.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
      Ah, life on the great plains.
      Ain't that the friggin' truth
      That's a pretty amazing temp differential.
      The US record happened in Loma, Montana on January 15, 1972 when the temperature swung 103 °F/39.44 °C, from -54 °F to +49 °F (-47.8 °C to +9.4 °C) within 24 hours.

The fastest rise in the US was in the Black Hills of South Dakota when on January 22, 1943 the temperature spiked from -4 °F to +54 °F ( -20 ºC to 12.22 ºC) in 2 minutes

My sinuses would have exploded.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 November 2011, 21:00.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The plains have the wild temp changes, that's for sure. I remember on fal I was driving down the highway with the windows down enjoying a nice warm day. Within five minutes I had rolled up the windows and turned on the heater.

Not quite as drastic as these examples, but common when a big front rolls in.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
        X