• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quakes hit Oaklahoma

Earthquake swarm hits Oaklahoma including a 5.6

Wonder how CJ's area was?

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Felt in quite a wide area.

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program, responsible for monitoring, reporting, and researching earthquakes and earthquake hazards
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Jolley is a little bit south of me here in Oklahoma, and we felt the 5.6 one decently well. It wasn't strong enough here to shake anything off the walls, but even after we stopped feeling it, things in the house were still vibrating.

I slept through the earlier 4.7 one.

Edit:

Didn't even realize we had a 4.0 hit this morning. I slept through that one too.
      Last edited by Jessterw; 6 November 2011, 13:59.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Exactly as above.

Oddly enough, my aunt was here earlier in the day and commented that she remembered the strongest earthquake ever recorded, in 1952, because it rattled things on top of her mother's piano, which now resides in our living room.
        Less than twelve hours later we topped that one.
        Last edited by cjolley; 6 November 2011, 14:00.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I was talking to my buddy in KC when that quake hit. Not a lot of shaking, but enough that they noticed.

"Was that an earthquake?" Pause. "That was an earthquake."

Glad the OK MURCers are ... OK.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

NOAA Radar Shows Birds, Bugs Flying During Quake

http://www.ktul.com/story/15971355/radar

NB. The center of the picture is where the radar is located, not where the quake was centered. The quake was NE of OKC.

NOAA Radar Shows Birds, Bugs Flying During Quake

Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2011 3:48 PM EST Updated: Sunday, November 6, 2011 3:56 PM EST posted by: Jennifer Cope, Assignment Editor - email

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA, radar captured birds and bugs flying low during the earthquake.
            The radar picked up the shaking and started scanning. The green represents the movement from the birds and bugs taking flight at a low altitude during the quake.
            The first picture is what the radar showed right before the 5.6 quake.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Wouldn't this sort of prove that animals can't 'sense' an imminent quake ?
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I don't think this one data point would be enough to prove anything one way or the other about a general statement like that.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

We just had another... during a thunderstorm with tornados reported.

I believe this latest was another 4.7.
                  “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Yeah. This one felt different.
                    Rumbling that I at first thought was a gust front coming through then one sharp jerk east and west.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                    X