New worlds biggest hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New worlds biggest hamburger

Here in the Detroit area: 338 lbs (153.3 kg)

Detroit News....

Southgate eatery's 3-foot-tall burger biggest in the world

Southgate-- A Downriver restaurant doesn't just make the biggest hamburger in the world.

It also apparently makes the only burger that grows.

How else to explain the expanding dimensions of the signature sandwich at Mallie's Sports Grill & Bar in Southgate?

In 2008, it was 134 pounds. Six months later, it was 164. In 2009, it was 186. In January, it was 319.

The biggest one yet was made Thursday -- a whopping 338 pounds.

Supersize that, McDonald's.

"It comes with fries and a drink," said manager Jason Jones.

The forklift is optional.

All that ground beef had already gotten Mallie's into the Guinness Book of World Records.

The restaurant has been cited several times for making the largest commercially available burger.

That's right, it's listed on the menu.

The "Absolutely Ridiculous Burger" sells for $2,000.

But that's the piddling 319-pounder, an appetizer compared with the new burger king concocted Thursday.

The 3-foot-high sandwich packs 540,000 calories.

The restaurant doesn't get many orders. That is, it doesn't get any.

But, in this increasingly food-obsessed world, people are intrigued by this prodigious patty.

A large crowd turned out Thursday to witness the unveiling of this gastronomic monstrosity, taking pictures with their cellphones.

The Travel Channel filmed it for a "Food Paradise" program.

"I had to see it," said Sherrie Van Horn of Monroe. "My friend told me about it, but I didn't believe him."

Everything was made in the restaurant's conventional ovens.

Before whipping up one of these Wimpy treats in your kitchen, you should know the following about 338-pound hamburgers: It takes 22 hours to cook. It requires a big bun, say, 100 pounds.

Stock plenty of fixings: 15 pounds of lettuce, 30 pounds of bacon, 30 pounds of tomatoes and 36 pounds of cheese.

Maybe a little less cheese if you're worried about cholesterol.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X