Iranian terror plot intercepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iranian terror plot intercepted

An Iranian naturalized US citizen with strong ties to Iran's Revolutionary Guard has been arrested by the FBI after a long investigation. He is now cooperating with prosecutors etc. One other conspirator has been arrested and one is still at large.

US says the Iranian govt. was involved. Also reports that the Mexican Zeta drug cartel was involved. No surprise as Hizbollah has set up shop in south & central America. Also reports that attacks in Brazil we discussed.

The plot included bombing both the Saudi and Isreali embassies and assassinating at least the Saudi ambassador.

Pressers in 5 then links as they come....but this borders on an act of war.

EDIT:

ABC News....

FBI and DEA agents have disrupted a plot to commit a "significant terrorist act in the United States" tied to Iran, federal officials told ABC News today.

The officials said the plot included the assassination of the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States, Adel Al-Jubeir, with a bomb and subsequent bomb attacks on the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Washington, D.C. Bombings of the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Buenos Aires, Argentina, were also discussed, according to the U.S. officials.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in an announcement today that the plan was "conceived, sponsored and was directed from Iran" and called it a "flagrant" violation of U.S. and international law.

"The U.S. is committed to holding Iran accountable for its actions," Holder said. He said the White House will be meeting with federal agencies before announcing "further action" in regards to Iran.

FBI Director Robert Mueller said the arrest of a suspect in the plot shows the U.S. will "bring the full weight of [the] law to bear on those responsible" and that "any attempts on American soil will not be tolerated."

The stunning allegations come against a backdrop of longstanding tensions between Iran and the United States and Saudi Arabia. In the last year, Saudi Arabia has attempted to build an anti-Iran alliance to push back against perceived aggression by Iran in the region.
    >
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 October 2011, 12:09.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
    An Iranian naturalized US citizen with strong ties to Iran's Revolutionary Guard has been arrested by the FBI after a long investigation. He is now cooperating with prosecutors etc. One other conspirator has been arrested and one is still at large.

US says the Iranian govt. was involved. Also reports that the Mexican Zeta drug cartel was involved. No surprise as Hizbollah has set up shop in south & central America. Also reports that attacks in Brazil we discussed.

The plot included bombing both the Saudi and Isreali embassies and assassinating at least the Saudi ambassador.

Pressers in 5 then links as they come....but this borders on an act of war.

EDIT:

ABC News....
    I really doubt Iran's regime is that suicidal. If you ask me, this business stinks... I'd love to see the outcome of a proper investigation on this. It sounds too much like the perfect pretext for another war in the middle east. How would Iran benefit from that?

Comment

What scares me is the paranoia that the US has about anything Iranian, there is always the risk of seeing ghosts where none exist - or even inventing them!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Look up the Haghani Circle, then understand that many of the Mullahs in Tehran and members of the Revolutionary Guard agree with that apocalyptic sect. One of its leaders, Mohammad-Taqi Mesbah-Yazdi, was Ahmadinejad's mentor. The Haghani don't just believe an apocalypse is coming, that's common, they feel it's their responsibilty to initiate it.

Like in TDK when Alfred tells Batman, referring to Joker, that some men just want to see the world burn - they really do.

Thing is this isn't an ancient school of Islamic thought, only having emerged in the late 1950's to early 1960's.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 October 2011, 04:02.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Since Iraqi WMDs which were non existent US government has lost all credibility when coming up with other likely war pretexts.

Might be true, might be bullshit.

Comment

First, IAEA now agrees they're in a runup to getting nuclear weapons. They also have tens of thousands of centrifuges creating weapons grade materials, and recently started work on laser separation which is even more efficient. That's no secret.

Second, you don't build silo based ICBM's to launch watermellons or 350 lb conventional warheads.

IMO this whole attack was to serve as a warning that they could do such an op, and to test how much aid of the Zeta's could be for smuggling in a nuke. This is a threat we cannot allow to emerge.

As to those silos -

The missile in the video below appears to be the Shahab-3 IRBM (intermediate range ballistic missile), and the 3B variant includes a modern steerable biconic re-entry warhead vehicle - meaning it can steer itself to its target.

The follow-on Shahab-4 project's first offshoot is the Safir satellite launcher. If you can orbit a satellite you have what it takes for an ICBM. Safir orbited a satellite in June, 2011.

As it is the Safir can only orbit 50+ kg, but if you add a small solid fueled 3rd stage that goes up. Historically a 100-150 kg nuclear warhead could easily deliver a 100 kiloton blast. The Little Boy bomb that leveled Hiroshima was only 13-18 kilotons. Do the math.

Iranian TV
            In the video you can see a secret location in Iran with a missile silo, the video explains that these silos have existed for 15 years and are spread across I...
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 October 2011, 04:20.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

IAEA is a bunch of Pussy's who can't get Fukushima under control.

Wouldn't trust them any farther than I can throw them.

It all sounds very fishy, an excuse to go and invade Iran, and maybe accidentally erase Palestine while they are at it. Have an 'Iranian' missile hit Palestine lol.
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                Look up the Haghani Circle, then understand that many of the Mullahs in Tehran and members of the Revolutionary Guard agree with that apocalyptic sect. One of its leaders, Mohammad-Taqi Mesbah-Yazdi, was Ahmadinejad's mentor. The Haghani don't just believe an apocalypse is coming, that's common, they feel it's their responsibilty to initiate it.

Like in TDK when Alfred tells Batman, referring to Joker, that some men just want to see the world burn - they really do.

Thing is this isn't an ancient school of Islamic thought, only having emerged in the late 1950's to early 1960's.
                Dr, it'd be nice if you don't base your opinion on some journalist's drivelling as a source for blatant fear-mongering with an agenda.

Fortunately, after reading some of the NY Times comments, it seems like many Americans won't be fooled as easily this time as they were with the Iraqi invasion pretext.
                Last edited by dZeus; 12 October 2011, 04:50.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                  Dr, it'd be nice if you don't base your opinion on some journalist's drivelling as a source for blatant fear-mongering with an agenda.

Fortunately, after reading some of the NY Times comments, it seems like many Americans won't be fooled as easily this time as they were with the Iraqi invasion pretext.

Comment

I wonder how many of you sat in their houses with sirens screaming and scuds falling down on their city.
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
                      I wonder how many of you sat in their houses with sirens screaming and scuds falling down on their city.
                      scuds, as in the Russian missiles fired by Saddam Hussein on both Israel and Iran?

Maybe you should ask George H. W. Bush about how that stuff was funded.
                      Last edited by dZeus; 12 October 2011, 06:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                        What scares me is the paranoia that the US has about anything Iranian, there is always the risk of seeing ghosts where none exist - or even inventing them!
                        *sigh* Not really true. What you see on TV, and what the more conservative American population talk about, is not the general US consensus. It's like Islam. A lot of people think they are inherently evil because most of what you see on TV and in the media is almost all bombings, war and fanaticals doing stupid things. That doesn't make it true about the group at large, but it does makes good TV. Just really bad reality.

Likewise, Iran makes good TV over here in a heated political season. Most Americans, however, honestly don't give a flying **** about Iran or the Middle East in general. We're sick of all the fighting over there, which I'm sure isn't as bad as the media portrays it, no matter who's doing the fighting, and quite honestly most of us want nothing to do with it anymore. In any form.

But most of all we're sick of people who paint us as warmongers and hatemongers and paranoid freaks because of the sensationalist bullshit that's spewed all over television, both domestic and international. In the end, the vast majority of Americans are just like everyone else in the world. We want a roof over our head, a meal on the table, a smile on our faces and someone to share our life's joys with.

So please don't try to paint all Americans in the same light. Like all nations and organizations there is a great diversity of opinions and beliefs within the group. And just because some of those opinions and beliefs differ from yours doesn't mean they are wrong, or that you are right, or that everyone over here agrees with that opinion.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just getting sick of people who live thousands of kilometers away make opinionated decisions about America based on sensationalist media bullshit sound like a fact about the US citizenry. And I know we're prone to do the same thing about other parts of the world. It's stupid, and I'm sure I'm guilty of it too, but that doesn't mean we have to purposefully perpetuate the stupidity on the forums over and over again.

And now my rant is done.
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                          What scares me is the paranoia that the US Political Circle has about anything Iranian, there is always the risk of seeing ghosts where none exist - or even inventing them!
                          Added a little bit, which is probably more correct than the US population as a general.

Its not like everyone voted Sarkozy in here, he got 57% or something iirc.

Jammrock has a point, but when the international arm of US media is spouting so much sensationalist bullsh*t, we can but either believe, or read comments from much saner people on the forums of the Internet.

Viewed from the Outside, from a (galaxy) country far far away, the USA does come across as "Team America:World Police", including the puppets
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

OK, I'll go along with ED666's correction, if that makes you happier.

We, too, are fed up with the strife, whosoever is the cause of it, but I reserve the right to challenge the veracity of "news" when it sounds like its extracted from the scenario of a Hollywood B-rated movie, especially if it comes out of sources with a vested interest and/or comes via a noted unreliable news source (I include here UK Telegraph, Mail and other tabloids, as well as some US ones). I equally reserve the right to challenge conspiracy theories for the same reasons. In addition, I insist on challenging bad science or those who consider a pseudo-scientific media report as gospel truth or those that report on vapourware "discoveries" that rarely pan out into real life.

Above all, partisan polemic whose only purpose is to gain brownie points over others, whether it be in the US, UK, France, Germany, Thailand or Cyprus, is boring to the nth degree, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                              >
                              Interesting secondary sourcing, but my primary source was an Imam at a local Shi'a mosque whose had dealings with the Haghani. Good guy with very interesting tales about his homelands whacked out leadership. His congregation, and members of a local Synagogue, cover at local church charities & meal kitchens during Christmas, Easter etc. so we can celebrate.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X