Does anyone have a clue on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a clue on this

All right this isn't hardware but it don't belong in the Linux Boes area.
    For some reason only know to itself My Windows 98 machine has decided to start storing my user profile on the network rather than locally on the hard disk.
    How the hell do you stop it doing this?
    I'v search technet at Microsoft but it's like hunting a pin in a haystack.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Hi PIT,

what do you mean with "user profile"?

erm,
    Hellmut

[This message has been edited by Hellmut (edited 02 March 2000).]

Comment

Under windoze 9x and NT you can create a profile for individual users on a machine. So for an example if you a younger brother/sister that likes playing in the Control Panel you can remove from the desktop when they login.
      Normally this is stored on the hard disk now for some reason on one of my machines at work is now decided to store it on the network drive.
      What I want to know is how to stop it doing this?
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

As far as I know you can't change that, without changing the login procedure on the PC, from network login to Windows login.

What you might want to try is to use another domain name for your local PC, so you can store User Profiles on the local PC, but then you won't be able to connect to the network-server.

Jorden.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

PIT,

what kind of network are you connected to?
          Is there PDC (Primary Domain Controller) around?

If so, you have to adjust the setting for the user profile in the domain user manager on the PDC.

Select the user, click on profile and type in a new path for the user profile.

R.

------------------
          P3B-F/P3-700E/256MB
          G400Max/SBLive
          You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Comment

The main network servers are Novell based. Then we have machines connecting to it either directly via bootrom on the network card or via windows 9x/NT using Novell client.
            They also scattered NT servers which departments use for there own purposes which also use the same wiring.
            The problem occurs with win9x and when they use user profiles. Most poeple are limited to 5 to 10 gigabytes and of course they get problems when the profile eats this up.
            Jordens right it's the default behavour, however the primary login is Novell client followed by Microsoft networking. If you remove network client they can't see other 95 machines in there workgroup.
            What I need is a way to make windoze look only on the C drive for the profile rather than the network as well. Apart from saying don't create profiles.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

PIT,

try to set the primary logon to the Microsoft Network Client. This should stop the Novell clients storing the profiles on the server.

R.

------------------
              P3B-F/P3-700E/256MB
              G400Max/SBLive
              You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Comment

Yep but then the Novell client screen doesn't come up.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

PIT,

this doesn't matter, because the Novell client still logs you on to your Netware server.
                  It will use the credentials (Username,Passwd) you used for the primary logon. All drive and search mappings should still work.

R.

------------------
                  P3B-F/P3-700E/256MB
                  G400Max/SBLive

Comment

In windoze 9x it doesn't log you on, well it doesn't with the machines I've seen. Under NT you still get the connection as you say Jupp. I've used this method (With NT) for strange conflicts with the usb on systems where you can't disable usb in the Bios.
                    Theres got to be a registry hack that fixes this little annoyance.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

PIT,

my notebook usually connects to a NT domain and to a NDS tree. Primary logon is the ms-client, secondary is the NDS login. This works and my profile is stored on the notebook.

Anyway, you could try to play around with poledit. Maybe there's an option to modify the profile path.

R.

------------------
                      P3B-F/P3-700E/256MB
                      G400Max/SBLive

[This message has been edited by Jupp (edited 05 March 2000).]

Comment

Is it storing the profile on the Netware or NT Servers? If it's NT there is a setting for each user which specifies whether they use local or roaming profiles. You can check this by going to the Server, right clicking on the My Computer Icon and then selecting the profiles tab. There should be a list of users and there profile type ie. local or roaming. If it's the Netware Server then it might be worth checking on Novell's site.

I hope I'm not telling you what you already know!

[This message has been edited by Taz (edited 05 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Taz (edited 05 March 2000).]
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

The problem seems to be with Win 9x machines. I haven't seen it yet with NT.
                          Windows 9x stores the profile on the netware servers.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Check on your PC in Control Panel/Passwords/User Profiles, is it set to the first option, (All users of this PC use the same preferences...), or the second, (Users can customize their preferences....). The first option should not create profiles for each user but the second one will.
                            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Hi folks,

the Novell Client for Netware stores user profiles on the network. This can be in the users home directory or (depending on the server configuration) in the SYS:Mail directory. You can check this at http://support.novell.com . Search for "user profiles".

Afaik, the only way to get rid of this, is to set the primary network logon to the MS network client.

R.

------------------
                              P3B-F/P3-700E/256MB
                              G400Max/SBLive

Comment

Working...
                              X