Meet the Massasagua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet the Massasagua

In Brian's thread about his dog being bitten I mentioned Michigan's rattlesnakes. Some call them the Black Rattler, some the Massasagua, but in southeast Michigan we're up to our butts in them. About a meter long and definitely poisonous, they're fortunately shy and not that aggressive, but they have killed and can be a threat to animals that get too close.

Meet the Massasagua/Black rattler -

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 October 2011, 00:56.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Sorry, can't really match that one: there are very few YouTube links to the Cyprus Blunt-nosed Viper (Microvipera lebetina) other than in captivity. The best one (commentary in Greek) is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNmlrsN-XE which gives a remarkable demo on how snakes use their ventral scales to move along. Some of the others show strikes at mice.

Adults are up to 1 m 50 long. They are ambush snakes, so don't 'run' from danger but won't attack unless provoked. They are usually well camouflaged in dead leaves or long, dry grass, so are easily trodden upon by accident. Their venom has medium potency but is quite abundant. Their venom glands are in the darker bulge behind their eyes. Unlike other vipers, these have never been recorded to give a dry strike; envenomation is 100% sure!
    Last edited by Brian Ellis; 4 October 2011, 02:07.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
    X