• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redefining "rape"

Long overdue IMO....

Link....

FBI considers redefining rape

A subcommittee plans to take up the issue later this month after criticism that the current definition — established in 1927 — is archaic and too narrow.

Reporting from Baltimore— The FBI is moving to change the federal definition of rape for the first time in 80 years, which authorities and women's advocacy groups hope will lead to improved tracking of such crimes and an attitude shift among investigators.

Critics have maintained that the current definition is archaic, too narrow, and leaves crimes uncounted in police statistics, resulting in fewer resources for victims and law enforcement.

A subcommittee of the Criminal Justice Information Service of the FBI plans to take up the task at an Oct. 18 meeting in Baltimore. Its recommendations will go to an advisory board and then to FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III for approval.
    >
    Since 1927, rape has been defined as forcible male penile penetration of a female — which excludes cases involving oral and anal penetration, cases in which the victims were drugged or under the influence of alcohol, and male victims.

"In order for the public to combat violence in our communities, we need to know where it exists and what it looks like," said Carol Tracy, director of the Women's Law Project, which helped spur reform in Philadelphia a decade ago and has taken a leading role in the push to update the FBI's definition.

The New York Times first reported on Thursday the potential for change after police chiefs, sex crime investigators, federal officials and advocates convened in Washington to discuss the limitations of the federal definition and the wider issue of local police departments not adequately investigating rapes.

According to statistics released by the FBI in September, there were 84,767 sexual assaults nationwide last year, 5% fewer than in 2009. Sexual assaults have long been among the most underreported crimes, with an estimated 80% of assaults not referred to police, experts say.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'd not be surpised if about 80 years ago the punishment for sodomy and fellation were about as hard, or harder, then those for rape.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Oxford says it all:

/reIp/
      LME.
      [Anglo-Norman rap(e), raap, formed as RAPE verb.]

�* 1. The action or an act of taking a thing by force; esp. violent seizure of property etc. LME–E18.

2. The action or an act of carrying away a person, esp. a woman, by force. Now arch. & poet. LME.

3. The action or an act of forcing a person, esp. a woman or girl, to have sexual intercourse against his or her will. Also, the action or an act of buggering a man or boy against his will. L15.
      gang-rape: see GANG noun. MARITAL rape. STATUTORY rape.

transf.: J. Irving The only impediments to their rape of the forest were the black flies and mosquitoes.
      �* 4. A person, esp. a woman, who has been raped. L16–L17.

Comb.: rape crisis centre an agency offering advice and support to victims of sexual rape.
      Sexual intercourse includes anal, oral etc. as can be seen by browsing these words.

"Designating or involving sexual activity in which the genitals of one partner are stimulated by the mouth of the other." is intercourse.

It would seem your 1927 definition was made much more narrow than the general meaning.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

At that time, the legal definition was much narrower than today. In many countries, it still is amazingly narrow.

BTW, my point was that sodomy, fallatio and cunnilungus (sp?) were (are?) punishable in many jurisdictions even if they were with consent.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The remaining sodomy etc. laws in the US were struck down in the 2003 Lawrence v. Texas SCOTUS decision.

One thing people have a hard time wrapping their heads around is rape by females. We saw many cases of this in the ER with both female and male victims. Far more common than generally thought.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Never had that luck
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

You wouldn't consider it "lucky." Typical is for an aggressive female to make a demand at knifepoint, often cutting during the act. There are some highly aggressive, sicko women out there.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X