Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satellite multi switches

Hello,

I'm looking at satellite multiswitches, but have some trouble seeing which of these two is the better device:
    Emp-Centauri MS8/1(8)PIN-4
    Axing SES996-19
    Axing SES96-09
    These are the only ones I could find that can take a Quad input and output to Unicable.

The first one supports output to 8 clients, the latter two only to 6 (but as they offer cascading, it can be extended). 6 should be enough for me, although 8 is more interesting, so that speaks for the first model (will be cheaper than another one plus cascade unit).

What is the difference between the active and passive trunk lines of the bottom two?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

The EMP Centari device cannot do trunking and cannot do terrestrial signals 5-862mHz where as the Axing AG units can.

Also the EMP Centari consumers a mere 2.88w of power. The Axing AG's use twice that without LNB power and double that if with. Axing AG's also use an external switching supply whereas the EMP Centari is internal, minus the 12v wallwart I would presume they are using. Heat is an enemy to these guy's causing excessive noise.
    This power difference would make sense, for the AXing AG's do trunking, which means they have 2x as many isolation amps do to it's trunking ability.

IMHO
    EMP Centari: Prosumer product
    AXing AG: Commercial product

One spec I was looking for is channel isolation, the EMP Centari device specs a min of 30dB (i'd consider 45dB as min but that me The AXing AG units do not give this spec, but knowing how they would be used doubt it's an issue.

Another spec missing from the EMP Centari does the amp utilize AGC (automatic Gain Control). The Axing AG's do, which is a good thing.
    Last edited by Greebe; 15 March 2012, 09:25.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Interesting information! So you would go with the Axing?

What if the dish (and I assume also switch - I might be limited in the number of cables I can have pulled - the unicable would allow me to do it with just one + powercable) would be positioned quite far from the receivers (e.g. on the roof of the apartment building; 17 floors above mine)?
      (I'm guessing the Axing would have more amplification to deal with that?)

The main new problem is that the outside of the building would be renovated, and dishes would no longer be allowed. Furthermore, I've been trying to get a signal with a 60cm dish, but have been unsuccessful (even though I have a clear line of sight... aiming it is tough though, as the building contains so much metal, no compass gives a good reading). Having a dish (professionally installed) on the roof would be better - although I may have to take it up against the building administrators: it can be bigger, and it is the highest building around.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

What is the difference between the active and passive trunk lines of the bottom two?
        I don't see what you are asking, both appear passive, tho one is for cascading,SES 996-09 and the other, SES 996-19 is for unicable drops, cacadable to one additional SES 996-09.

I believe the confusion is that these are primarily used for cable drops into apartments (flats), Hotels, hospitals, etc. where a large # of drops are required over a considerable distance with multiple distribution points. EMP Centari mentions this with "who cannot afford star-topology cabling" which is how the other two devices are used.

Also EMP Centari is specifically designed to handle dual quad LNB's whereas the AXing can do a single quad LNB, but can also do DTV over the air or local inputs, say door entry video feeds, security or similar.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
          Interesting information! So you would go with the Axing?

What if the dish (and I assume also switch - I might be limited in the number of cables I can have pulled - the unicable would allow me to do it with just one + powercable) would be positioned quite far from the receivers (e.g. on the roof of the apartment building; 17 floors above mine)?
          (I'm guessing the Axing would have more amplification to deal with that?)

What are we talking here a 60m cable run? High quality cable goes a long way. Should be on par with one another, remember different application use.

The main new problem is that the outside of the building would be renovated, and dishes would no longer be allowed. Furthermore, I've been trying to get a signal with a 60cm dish, but have been unsuccessful (even though I have a clear line of sight... aiming it is tough though, as the building contains so much metal, no compass gives a good reading). Having a dish (professionally installed) on the roof would be better - although I may have to take it up against the building administrators: it can be bigger, and it is the highest building around.
          Sat installers use a "peaker" to fine tune the dish normally. it's a simple broadband amp with a weighted analog meter showing signal strength, a must have tool

LOL what the heck are you building in your apt? No Mini Me's runnin around are there?

A pro 1m dish would be best but not necessary, what yo0u have is fine. Actually the bigger the better, but doubt they'd go for the 50m radio telescope perched on the roof or for that matter a mini Arecibo in the court yard.

A phase array would be kewl, don't need to point them if clear sight, but $$$$

A Pro should have not problem sighting your dish from a window if you have clear sight or you could sight Polaris and use a protractor if neccessary. Yes it's difficult todo in the dark but at least it's not 500years ago in a rickity boat bobbing around like a cork out in the middle of the Atlantic. Youz gotz mad navigational skillz Mr. Pilot use them
          Last edited by Greebe; 15 March 2012, 10:25. Reason: added info

Comment

Working...
          X