New way of cooling chips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New way of cooling chips!

Check this story at http://www.eet.com/story/OEG20000224S0014 and wonder when we will see this wonderfull material show up on our CPUs

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

I'm not sure I understood all of that article. But if I read most of it right, someone needs to make a fan / heatsink replacement from this compound. The current that normally goes to the fan can be used as the new "SuperSink"'s power source, and it can be attached to whatever needs cooled (like the processor, memory, video card, yadda, yadda,..).

Someone DO IT!! Hehe

------------------
    Ace
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I just wondered,
      As for cooling chips and electronic equipment, Kanatzidis believes his material can be sandwiched with traditional bismuth-tellurium alloys to provide continuous cooling capability from ambient temperatures down to 200°K below normal operating temperature.
      If your CPU is 82 Celsius, how much K is it then, and what if I lower the temp by 200K, wouldn't my CPU freeze??

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

0 K(kelvin)= -273,15 Celsius
        1 K = 1 Celsius
        82 C = 355,15 K

The only differens between the kelvin and Celsius scale is that 0 K is the absolut freezing point and 0 C is where water freezes. Am I wrong? Am not totally sure about this.

Erich

Comment

Yeah, you'r right, 0C is the freezing point of (pure) water, and 0K is absolute zero. 0C is ~273K.

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Jorden, just leave the side off your tower and shortly an insulating layer of dust bunnies will keep the CPU warm.....

-Dil

sounds like a idea,just have to wait for someone to jump in and make it happen!
            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Errrm, Dil, which side of off my tower?? It's completely bare, only the top still being there...

At least I don't have a topless tower

On the dust bunnies: without all the sideplates and front cover, my PC's less dusty than it was before !!

And I got my own bunny to keep me warm...

Jord.

------------------
              Have you noticed that the fori got through the Leap Year Day okay??
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

It sounds to me like a more efficient Peltier cooler.

Comment

Don't Peltiers circulate a cooled liquid in order to remove the heat (hence the need for things like evaporators, condensors, etc., and some way to make sure that nothing gets on the motherboard or cards)?

This sounds more like a new alloy, one that responds to an electric circuit being applied to it by cooling. Sort of the opposite effect of the filaments in a toaster, some heaters, or even many light bulbs.

------------------
                  Ace

Umm, I couldn't think of a good way to rephrase the first sentence of the last paragrapgh clearly, but I mean if you put it in a circuit (juice it) it gets COOLER.

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 02 March 2000).]

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600

Comment

Nope, peltiers use P-N materials (similar to transistor materials) that transfer heat (thus cooling an object) once electricity is passed through them. There are no liquids invovled.

The reason why some peltiers use insulation and other anti-condensation devices is because of dew points. If your computer is stored in a humid room and the area around the peltier is cooled to the dew point condensation will form on the peltier and kill electronics if it drips. I have seen dew points up in the 70's F in humid areas, whixh is easily attainable by a peltier.

Don't mistake a peltier for a refrigeration unit like Kryotech uses. They use a compressor/evaporator system like a refrigerator uses.

Jammrock

------------------
                    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 02 March 2000).]
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

In fact, a more efficient Peltier cooler would be really great. The current ones use a lot of current to operate (30-50 W or more). This is a serious concern for those barely hanging on to stability be the skin of their teeth (I love than metaphor). The newer processors like the Athlon and PIII processors need better and more powerful power supplies with each new generation of processors. This power use both drains power from the PS and emits heat from the processor which needs to be dissipated. I hope this new cooling system gets commercialized soon.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 02 March 2000).]

Comment

Hi Jammrock,

you are close already
                        The liquid cooling in Cry'o'Tech cases is just the secondary cooling system. The CPU is cooled by a peltier, which in turn produces loads of heat due to the inefficient nature of the principle. The hot side of the Peltier is cooled through a liquid system to transport the heat out of the case.
                        A peltier element per se has no moving parts/liquids/things, it is pure solid state.
                        Have a look at foodforthought
                        for a comprehensive doc on Peltier.

fun,
                        Hellmut

[This message has been edited by Hellmut (edited 02 March 2000).]

Comment

But the material in the article not only cools your chips better, it also speeds things up by 100%.
                          For a 20 percent premium in manufacturing chips, the patented material may increase their speed 100 percent by dropping a circuit's internal temperature as much as 200°C below current operating temperatures, its inventor says.
                          Wouldn't this break the 2GHz barrier within a year? (Yikes! )

Jorden.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks for all that information. I guess I'd never learn anything if I didn't keep sticking my foot in my mouth.

At any rate, I'd like to have a Peltier based on this new alloy. Like Jorden was saying, 2Ghz in a year would be real nice.

------------------
                            Ace

System specs:
                            Gainward Ti4600

Comment

Jorden,
                              Errrm, Dil, which side of off my tower?? It's completely bare, only the top still being there...
                              You must not have any pets. I can imagine one of my two dogs sticking their cold, wet noses in there and bringing a whole new meaning to ESD</a>

</a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a>
                              MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                              Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                              512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                              Matrox P
                              X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                              LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
                              X