Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator question

Hello,

I've asked it to many people, and get different answers, so I'll try here... In my apartment, I have these old cast-iron radiators (the building was built in the late '70s). Somehow, I like them, even over more modern ones, but the guys that do the renovation suggest I replace them. I like them because they fit in with the style building and the rooms.

All information I have as that such radiators are virtually indestructible, but there is no good way to find out if they are in a good condition: in only constitutes a visual check (at least: over here). Of course, if mine are not good, I would replace them; but I hate to replace them if they are still good. New cast iron radiators are VERY expensive, so that is not an option...

Mine are now 30 years old, but my brother for instance has such radiators that are 80 years old. I also know of other buildings where such radiators are present for over 50 years. The only difference I can see is that my building is quite high (20 floors, I'm on the 4th floor), and this might impact the pressure on them.

So, any thoughts?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

cast iron piping can fail many ways - one typical is a pin hole leak - usually caused by a ion attack in the water. Hard to detect, certainly not visually unless there is a large area of general corrosion. If they are using an oil heat transfer fluid then general corrosion may be the potential issue.

If you can get a feel for what has happened in other apartments, that might give you an idea of what to expect with that particular water supply.

Just to give you an example of unintended consequences, the city of Washington DC switched from using Chlorine gas to inject chlorine into the potable water system to using bleach. Since they still had many sections of water piping that had lead in it, the slight change in pH of the water from the change in the method of supplying CL into the water caused rapid and catastrophic corrosion of that particular water piping. ANd they only figured it out after the leaks started occurring. Everyone assumed the old lead piping had been replaced.

Comment

I've seen several apartments in the building, and all of them still have the same original radiators. I'm quite sure they are using water as heat transfer fluid (but I don't know if it has been treated in some way). An architect suggested that the plumber cleans them out (removes the slurry that may have accumulated), and then just puts them back...
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
      X