Powersupply ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powersupply ?

I got a G400max and lots of stuff(fans hdds ++) and i have some trouble with the G400..

In some posts i see that you think the powersupply can be a bottleneck in some systems. Now i got a Aopen case with the standard 235W.

Im thinking of getting a new case Bigtower or whatever its called.. The Aopen hq8 looks cool, but its a 235w powersupply. Ive seen a 400W in Germany (i live in Norway not the senter of earth when it comes to pcstuff).. and wonder if a 300W should be enough for me or should i take the step and order the 400W ?

Im upgrading my putter all the time, and wants to be "smart" and get stuffs that can be used more than 6 months. I see the next generation off grafcards like V5 6000 uses theyr own powerconn.. maby the next G2000MAX will demand more power too.. and if i settle with a 300W i will have to upgrade .. hmm ?

Anyone who can enlighten me a bit about powersupplyes ?

im about to install W98SE now.. it seems that i cant have my old W95 and W98SE(oem) on the system at the same time..so i have to uninstall W95 now. i would love to have bouth at the same time..is there a fix for that ? install W95 after i have W98 ..on two different hdds.. and do a bootup to choose w98\w95 ? Why i want that..cuz i think W95 i great..and it supports every game i have.. W98 dont like all old games.. only reason i got W98 is cuz of the USB support..

------
    ok my system now:
    W95b - very soon W98SE (30 mins lol)
    PIII 550MHz no o\c
    352MB SDRAM PC100
    Aopen BX440 ax6b motherboard (the one with 1 gb ram) upgraded bios to handle PIII cpus)
    G400MAX (bios 1.5-22 PD5.41.008 drivers 4.11.01.1410 no Turboicd)AGP size is 256MB no o\c its a "4a" card but only works at 1x (i got lots of MGA tools but havent o\c or changed the card setup yet.
    V2 Monster3DII 8MB SLI (ref driver 2.56)
    22GB HDD 7200rmp
    18GB HDD 7200rmp
    6,4GB HDD 5400rmp(all ata-66)
    Aopen 40x cdrom
    SB LIVE! value
    SB AWE64
    ISDN card
    21" Panasonic S110 monitor
    Microsoft Wheelmouse
    MS Sidewinder 3D PRO
    MS Sidewinder Force Feedback
    Cannon BJC4200 printer
    Cambridge Studioworks Surround
    Creative Webcam GO USB
    Mitsumi CDwriter 2x burn 8x read
    USB HUB 4 conns
    1.44Floppy
    2 external fans connected to the powersupply (i had 3 but the speed of the fans got bad..slowdowns..and one got burned ..so i only have 2 now, but wants 2 more )
    The case is a Aopen miditower.
    DX 7 is installed
    Ive fixed the irq list so only G400 is at irq9 together with irqholders.
    -------
    Most games works with the G400max, but some of them wont start at all, and some looks very bad..so im keeping my V2 SLI combo for those.

Expandable wont start at all..i can go into options and change stuff, but the game wont load.. ive tryed all settings and the "-lowram" and so recomended by Rage.. but no luck..
    And the G400max showoff the techdemo aint working good..i can only chose 640x480x16 and 800x600x16 bump\nobump.. but thats all..

btw this is a great place to go and look for tips. thx

[This message has been edited by noclan_member (edited 02 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by noclan_member (edited 02 March 2000).]
    Delta Force all the way !

My opinion - The 400 W PS is necessary for you taking into account future expandability and your location not being at the Mecca of computerdom.

Make sure any case you buy has adequate ventilation or at least space for additional fans to increase ventilation as needed. V2s make a lot of heat when active. Also, the next generation cards will add that much more heat to the system. If you really like your Glide games, better hang on to the V2s. I have.

If you want these two systems available, and if there is no way for them to be installed simultaneously, I would have two indentical HDs with each operating system on separate drives. A change in cables inside the computer would switch you from one to another. (There may be better ways of doing this.) One consequence of this type of system would be you would only need to have the applications for Win98 on the drive with the Win98 OS installed. The same for applications you use under Win95. Actually, come to think of it, you could keep both HDs connected all the time and disable one or the other in the BIOS at startup to select the operating system you want.

?????????????????????????

Comment

A new power supply would be in order. The units that ship with AOpen cases do not have the best reputation in the world. 400 Watt power supplies are expensive, but you do have a lot of stuff in your machine. It certainly wouldn't hurt, although you'd probably get away with a 350.

PC Power & Cooling, Fortron Source, and Antec all make good power supplies.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

If you are interested in purchaseing a new powersupply, please send an e-mail to this guy
        He has great prices and service.
        Also, i'd have to sudgest a 350 watt psu too, they are a great midle between the 400's and cost signifigantly less.

Comment

my local shop only sell PS under 300W. And there isnt any firms in Norway that have PS over 300W in theyr stock.. so i have to settle with a 300W or the 400W i found in Germany..

Is a 300W too little to handle my rig and 2-3 more fans ?
          The 235W is for shure, cuz of the slowdowns in the fan speed when my hdds are working.

I dont know the prize for the 400W yet, but a 3x400W servercase i saw was a bit too expencive... so i dont think the 400W would be costing more than half of that (only the powersupply and no hightechservercase) and that i can handle..

but if a 300W is enough... i can get some more ram instead

----
          btw.. i now have W95 and W98SE on my pc..
          I have to dissable my primary hdd in the bios to get to the other os.. but i can live with that for now. if you know a better solution than this i would be thankfull.
          (guess i have to move some files now..)

Comment

Why do you have W95 on there still?
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If youve got the room you can buy a 300w PS and splice it to the other PS with some basic electronics skill. then you would have about 535w's using your old one and a new 300w...

If you like this idea i can find the link on how to do this properly...

------------------
              PIII 450 @ 504
              generic BX motherboard
              G400 MAX : )
              GlobalWin VOS32!
              Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
              Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
              Creative 36x CD-ROM
              96 megs PC100 RAM
              128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
              NetGear 10/100
              Soundblaster 32 AWE
              Diamond SupraExpress 56k
              Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
              1 92mm Sunon Fan
              4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

Wattage is not the only consideration. Some 300 Watt power supplies are better than others.

I read a review where an Antec PP-303X, a 300 Watt unit, outperformed some AMD approved 400 Watt power supplies. They're, apparently, fairly easy to get. If you have to get a 300 Watt power supply, you want to get a good one.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 04 March 2000).]

Comment

Dyre:

Ive been thinking about that too.
                  I know about the cabel that gives the powersuply the "start" sign from the mobo. If i get a 300W for my Mobo, cards and two of my hdds, i can hotwire the 235W to the confirmsignalcabel and plug it on the last hdd and all the fans. But can i connect the two PS and get 535W ? hmm if you got the url, im sure im able to do some electonic magic on the putter
                  The tech dude at my local store talked about that, but he didnt know if it was possible, and didnt know how to do it. (he said it might be done but no prommise on the final result)

And yes the Aopen hq8 case im about to get is ready for two PS. There is an open space over the standard PS thats big enough to hold another ATX PS.

Paulcs:

I have to choose from the asortement my norwegiasan stores sells, they wont take in stuff from anywhere in the world. The 400W ive seen is in Germany and the company that owns the store do have some partners in Germany.. Thats why i can hope to get a hold of the 400.. Yes i can order any PS i want from a US UK firm on the web, but then i dont know what i get, and my local shop wont give me the security they would give me if i go thru them.
                  Ill get a list of the ¨few 300W thats avalable for me, then you maby can tell me if any of those is better than the rest ?

thx for the replyes

Comment

Working...
                  X